How do you tell someone that they smell and so does their house?

I know this person that is VERY close to me and well, they have a smell to them. Their house also smells of cat. I know they are probably used to it since they live there but as soon as you walk in you smell it. Its not strong but its noticeable.

Also.. their house isnt clean what so ever. I don't like having my son there because its not clean. The last time we visited we ate dinner there and that day my DH and myself were sick with diarrhea. Kinda funny we both go sick after we left there. I just feel disgusted when I go there like I have to wash everything as soon as we get home and clean our hands and disinfect everything!

Now this person is part of our family and I don't know how to say it to them without upsetting them and hating us.

...Any ideas, thoughts would be great. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Health

• If they are very close to you then I would just mention that their house smells of cat urine...I had to do this with my mother...she couldnt' smell it anymore.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I had to do this with mother as well, unfortunately she is too lazy to take care of it. It is to the point that I will not let my daughter go there. It is unhealthy.
    Anonymous

• Drop off lysol, soap etc off at her door step.
    Anonymous

• If you told them, would they be in denial? would they be offended? would they stop talking to you? If so then dont say anything. Unless this person or their cats are getting sick, dont say anything. If this person asks you why dont you come over anymore or why do you ignore him/her then you can say its bc they and theyre house smells bad and it offends you.
    If it were me and was MY family member, I would bring them aside in private, as not to embarrass them, and tell them what the problem is and how they can fix it.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2009