Can you go from one formula to another without it messing up the babies stomach?

I am going to Exclusively Pump but i want ot get formula incase i need it. My dd is 17 months old and i still have 1 can of formula left from when she was on it. It is not opened and is not expired. Si will have it. But i know there is cheaper formula and i will need to be getting that. I dont want to waste the can of formula. So could i use it and switch to another brand right after. Thanks...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends on the child mostly... when my son was older(closser to a year) he did fine if i bought him the cheaper stuff.

But when he was still small he had an intollerance for lactose and needed a certain formula.

I don't think it hurts to try. But be aware that you may end up having to go back to the more expensive if she doesn't like the new can.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If she is 17 months, there really is no need for formula at all...if you can't produce enough, just give whole milk instead.
    But there is always an adjustment period when switching formulas, so yes it can mess up her tummy
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I didnt say this in the question but i will be using the formula for my newborn not my toddler. I am due in 2 weeks. Should have mentioned it...
    Anonymous

• yea i agree with Jademom07 it will make them a little sick switching. i switched over to whole milk when my little boy turned 1 and he did just fine on it.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I am due in 2 weeks. Should have mentioned it...

Then I would say that if you aren't producing enough for both of them, you need to wean the toddler off onto whole milk and only bf the infant. Chances are that the toddler will stop liking the bm once the baby gets here. If you need to supplement the infant, I don't see why using the can you have will be a problem but once you switch, you may notice an adjustment period to the new formula
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• if your using it for your newborn, then start him right away on the cheaper version you want to use, and see how he does. Like with my son i had to go to a special formula because his intollerance for lactose.

find someone else that can use it, if its close to expiration so that the formula doesn't have to go to waste.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My child di fine on any and every formula that I purchased or was given to us. My doc said it was fine as long as baby was fine.
    Anonymous

• with my son i do because it depends on how much it is when i run out from wic and he is fine when ever i change his formula!!!
    just becareful....!!!
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son has changed formula a few times and he is 5 months now. He has always done just fine. Some just give him worse gas then others do.
    Anonymous

• Join the breastfeeding mom's group .. We'll discourage you from using formula at all unless you plan on weaning very early. Are you planning on weaning off the breast very early? Using formula at all tends to impede supply until you've gotten a really good supply going. Once you have one it isn't quite as bad for supply.

And just curious, why don't you want to nurse? Does it gross you out? Or, do you think you have to because you are going back to work? Or do you think it is easier? Just wondering.. since exclusive pumping is hard to maintain and affects supply negatively.

And no.. if you are going to start out with formula from the get-go and are planning to wean very early -- start with the formula you want to use (the cheaper one). Since it is NOT generally okay to switch around with formulas once you've got one they can tolerate..
    Anonymous