My boss insists on scheduling me on days I cannot work. What can I do?

I leave notes with my availability all over the place but he either ignores or overlooks them. Then since the schedule is already made, I have to scramble to change my plans so no one else is inconvenienced by having to cover the shift that I requested off. What can I do about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• can you talk to him directly instead of leaving him notes? maybe that would help?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Does he have a certain time when he does the schedule? Go in his office on that day to remind him of when you can't work. Another thing, is your'e expected to work and I wouldn't put in for tooo many days off, he is the boss, you aren't.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Talk to him. If this keeps happening you might want to just look for another job. If you can't work, you can't work. He's being the jerk, boss or not, and he is purposely causing the problem. Some let that ounce of authority go to their head.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I am OP. When I was hired, I was hired as part-time with limited availability. As long as there is not a period of black-out where no one can request off, then there is nothing wrong with me letting him know when I can and cannot work. He might be the boss, but he should NOT be scheduling me when I can't work. I've talked to him about it several times. I like the job, but maybe it's just time to find another job.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean CAN"T work. That is what your boss would probably say. Do you have another job? Most bosses do not care if you have anything else to do.

Have a sit down talk with your boss. If that does not work, find a different job that will accommodate you schedule.

Answer by louise2 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• what is OP? I know people need time off at certain times but with the economy/job market the way it is I wouldn't have the attitude that the boss is a jerk. The fact is that they do have the authority to make the schedule what they want. Also, have you talked with him regarding your concerns? Some bosses just have alot to do and forget so give him the benefit of asking him about it and if he says that there is nothing he can do and that will be the way it is, then you will have to look for a new job that better suits your schedule.
    Anonymous

• You are sending a very mixed message. Can you work then or not? Because if you really CAN"T work then no amount of scrambling will fix it. And are you going for the same schedule every week or does your availability move around? You need to have a talk with him and if the talk goes. "I can't work Mondays from 3-4 because that is when my mother has dialysis and if you scheduled me again for that time I am just not coming in. Period, end of discussion I am tired of begging and reminding."  But I would look for a new job too.  You have to make it real to him and you have to make it important.

Anonymous

• Even if you want to just stay home and sit on your ass, as long as you give the proper amount of notice for off days (a week to 2 weeks usually), as a part-timer without a fixed schedule, which it does not sound like you have, he should respect that. I have worked for many years both in a management capacity and not. When a worker is hired as a part-time, they have a certain amount of freedom regarding their schedule that full-time workers do not. Bad economy or not, ignoring your requests is unprofessional. He DOES NOT have the authority to schedule you on days you need off if you were hired with those restrictions. If you've talked to him about it and he keeps ignoring or forgetting, follow the chain of command and talk to his boss or HR until this issue is addressed.
    Anonymous

• without a fixed schedule it would sound like he can schedule any days just a certain number of hours. What was your agreement when you were hired? It doesn't sound like she had "restrictions" of when she can't work, it sounds like she is requesting off. Which is just that "requesting" it isn't a given.
    Anonymous

• my daughter works and every month they turn in their "availability" for the month. They then make the schedule and if they can accomodate they do but if not she has to work. That's life.
    Anonymous