How were you able to pay for school?

How were you able to pay for school? Didyou get a school loan, FAFSA, scholarships, did you borrow from family, pay with credit card...??? I need to do online classes. I have applied for scholarships but in order to get them I have to be enrolled in a school. The thing is, I don't have money to enroll yet. I am planning on doing online classes from the University of Phoenix. 
How much money did you get?

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in

• I pay for school through grants. I would recommend waiting until next fall semester to start, since the deadline for filling out the FAFSA passed quite some months ago. The second you get your taxes done & the new FAFSA application opens, then fill it out. Then everything will be in far before the deadline. Also, I attend my local community college & have taken several on-line courses with them. Please listen to all of the posters saying do NOT take classes from U of Phoenix or Kaplan - they are far more expensive than community college & like rkoloms said, many employers do not take a degree from them seriously.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i don't suggest online courses, i was screwed royally by kaplan. I would instead try a local university or state university because most of them offer ONLINE courses and are unlikely to screw you and you will have a real degree.

As far as paying, i got a pell grants, and Student loans. An actual university in your state where you can actually go and talk to a real person is so much better and they will have scholarships from the school that you can apply to.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I got loans, scholarships and grants. Applied through FAFSA and my school.
    Anonymous

• I do agree with the PP. I didn't want to say anything to offend you, but Phoenix has a horrible reputation.
    Anonymous

• I get FAFSA and another grant through my school.

it's all I need. pays for everything---books, everything.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I'm getting an associates degree thru my local community college then will move on to a bigger university to get my bachelors. I know they offer almost all classes on line or in class. I applied thru FASA and have grants, loans and have earned a scholarship.

I do agree with pp, dont do the Pheonix or kaplan, they are horrible and u will loose money,. Too many "fine print" rules for them. you can register at any college fill out the forms for FASA and if you cannot afford to go then wait. But my college also accepts payment plans. where you can pay your tuttion every month (3 months so its divided into 3 payments) which is great for my summer classes when my grants are not carried over.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Ditto on what everyone else said sign up for classes and then apply for financial aid. All schools have a deadline for when classes have to be paid for up until then you do not pay anything.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• FAFSA is NOT money for school, it is the FREE APPLICATION FOR FINANCIAL STUDENT ASSISTANCE. It is how the schools, scholarship committees and the government determines what you can afford to pay and what grants, scholarships and loans you may be eligible for.

I go to a technical college and they offer almost all of their classes online, go with an accredited college or university. Call the financial aid or student services office of the college you want to attend and they will help you with the entire process.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority.

When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools. Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

You can start your search for scholarships here: www.fastweb.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2009