What is with combining all the vaccines together?

I took my dd to her two month check up yesterday so it was time for the first round of shots. I get my children vaccinated but I split it up. Anyway, on a normal schedule, yesterday she should have gotten - Polio, Hep B, Pneumococal, DTaP, Hip and then the oral rotavirus. She got the rotavirus earlier because we had her one month check up late and she was old enough then. The polio is combined with the DTaP. I was not going to have her get the Hep B shots because right now, really, there is no possible way for her to get it unless for some reason she ends up needing a blood transfusion. But at my doctor's office they now combine the Hep B with the DTaP and Polio. So there really isn't a choice in getting it. You can't just refuse one thing. She didn't get that shot. She got the other ones and I made an appt. for next month to come back for that one but I don't really want her to get it. Her doctor mentioned (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• that perhaps I could find a clinic that still gets them separate. What though I also don't understand is they only need the Hep B 3 times. They get the DTaP 5 times, are they combined every time? So they are getting the Hep B 5 times instead of 3? And if they are not combined all the time then my doctor's office should have some without the Hep B in it, right? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had 3-4 shots at a time. Once or twice.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes, I know they get that many shots at once, but what I am saying is they are combining them into one shot, so you get them all, not individually. As a parent, I can't pick and choose which ones she can and can't receive, I may have to look for a new doctor.
    Anonymous

• it's been proven that when many shots are given at the same time, immunity is enhanced. and it's easier because not all mom's are on time with vax schedules. pediatricians and family docs have to vaccinate at the chance given, and to be more efficient and effective it is done this way.
    you can get separate shots, if you chose to have your doctor purchase them separately and charge you separately for each individual injection and office visit. it will cost you more, cause more injections to your baby, and require more office visits.
    looking for a new dr. is not going to solve your problem when the Peds boards recommend this and the manufacturers provide it like this.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Its true and terrifying to me!! still.. I spread my son's out to the best I could. I think certain clinics you can request it but not many will pay to have seperate ones shipped in JUST for you, you know? sucks.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• We are the only country in the world that gives so many vaccines and gives them so early! It amazes me and you CAN'T hardly find the vaccines separate anymore - they just aren't making them because with so many parents it's an all or nothing thing. For example, I would love to have a tetanus shot without pertussis, but they don't make it. It truly is crazy how many chemical they pump into our babies bodies when they are so tiny!

Answer by missanc at 2:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You can request them separately, but having a bunch of separate shots means having each one with preservative, instead of a combination that has one preservative. That is where the danger is actually at for the most part the thymerisol (sp?) is popping back up as an additive because the FDA is not regulating the vaccines as strictly as they should and when you go cheap you get cheap. I am a bit paranoid myself about all the shots, its what 32 now when it was 12 for us as children? Also the mere fact that the drug companies can not be held liable should damage be caused to you or your child due to any vaccination or preventative flu shot. It is in the government mandate, its also been footnoted on several anti terrorism bills so they can't be sued and they will have the money to put out antibiotics and needed medication should a biological terrorist attack happen in the us. It's ridiculous, and frightening.Google Kennedy on it.
    srmomof4

Answer by srmomof4 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You can request thimerosal free. The thimerosal additive is higher in combo shots than in single shots. If your doc can't provide the separate shots, find one who can. You're right on the Hep B. She might not really need it til college unless you plan to travel. They might have straight DTaP but not straight Hep B-- you are right that the math doesn't add up there. Also, few people complain about vaccination in the office, so to save $ or storage space, the doc may just be giving the kids extra.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• you can have the doctor's office order single dose vaccines (preservative free, too). If the office won't do this, find a new one. You can also delay vaccinating.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2009