How do I get my daughter to gain weight?

I took my 15 month old to her checkup today and her doctor says she isn't gaining any weight and doesn't weigh enough and needs to gain weight. She is only 19 1/2 lbs. How much does/did your 15 month weigh? How can I get her to gain weight?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 1:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has always been at the bottom of her weight class being a preemie. At her 18 mo checkup she was 19 lbs.

Her pedi said to add breads and pasta to her diet. Get those carbs in!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I would ask your doc for tips. I generally don't worry about children who are otherwise healthy, energetic, and developing appropriately. My almost 2yo DD has maybe gained 2lbs this year (she's gotten plenty taller- she's just skinny), but everything else is right on target, so my doc won't worry.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 1:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My LO is huge! So we won't compare :)

Foods that are high in good fats are a great choice. Avocado, salmon, cheese, etc. Get creative and and more calories to her diet.
    Anonymous

• My kids at 4 months weighed 19 lbs, and now at 22 months my youngest weighs 26 lbs and my 4 year old is 42 lbs. Both tall and skinny girls. I would do whole milk, small frequent meals. Plenty of breads and grains and cheese(find the high fat kind) in addition to balanced meal. My kids eat every about two hours. Breakfast 8, Snack 10, Lunch 12, Snack about 3 after nap, dinner 5. Some ensure might help as well. She may also just be a petite girl, is she running and playing well. Does she seem happy and developing normally otherwise? If so do what you can but don't stress. You can get some more healthy calories out of VA juices, my girls love V-Fusion.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son at 15 months was like 22 lbs so I know what you are talking about, He will be 2 in a week and is still only 25lbs. he's SO skinny. still on the chart so they aren't TOO worried but he also could care less about eating. I feel like I am always running after him with food or milk.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son is 22 months, and he is only 23 lbs. Every child is different! If she is a little smaller and weighs less then normal kids around her age who cares! She will catch up. You dont want to force her to gain weight just for her to be a normal weight! Just because your daughter weighs less does not mean she is not healthy
    Ad3n_M0mmy01

Answer by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I know someone who had a very premature baby and he had trouble gaining weight from eating food alone...so their dr. advised them to use that carnation instant breakfast (Or another version if you are worried about the sugar...I'm sure they have organic varieties etc...) to help him gain weight. It worked for them, and they have lots of vitamins and calcium since you mix it with milk...and they taste like vanilla and chocolate so kids will actually drink them. I think this is more of a last resort though...like if dd is a picky eater or just doesn't eat a whole lot period. But it's an idea.
    Anonymous

• at 18 months mine was about 21.5 or 22. At 2 she was 23 but hadn't gained since 21 month appoint the doc was concerned. Now at 2 and a half she's up to 25. We were wtaching her but not doing anything yet. She's always been in the 5 - 10th percentile though. She still wears 12 month and 18 month clothing! Some kids are just small. But if she's not gaining at all, then just offer extra snacks to start. Fruit, milk, animal cookies, etc. Mine eats all the time and still is slow to gain, so I don't know what to tell ya.
    Anonymous

• Thanks y'all! She actually wasn't a premie; in fact, she was born a week late! But, I'm not worried 'cause I'm only 110 lbs and my hubby is only like 160, so we're both small. The doctor just said she needed to gain weight and didn't give any suggestions. Her favorite food is pasta and ground turkey, so I guess I'll just keep trying to give her that.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• my son just had his 2 yr check up and is 24 lbs... doc asked if he was eating i said he eats tons for a while and then only a little...goes in spurts.

He was born preemie but she isnt worrried just said to keep feeding him like we are.

I don't think there is too much to worry about as long as she is healthy in every other way.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2009