What can I do to get my 7 year old to stop wetting the bed?

I have tried everything that I know. I have even taken her to the doctor to see if she has a problem with her kidneys and he says that she is perfectly healthy. I dont know what else to do.

RebelRose84

Asked by RebelRose84 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• You may just have to wait it out. My son wet the bed until he was around 10. I did get some medication (Desmopressin) from his doctor that we used when he wanted to spend the night with a friend or if we were staying away from home. The medicine reduced the amount of urine the child makes during the night so their bladder can hold it until morning.

He eventually outgrew it.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 1:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• you can try to no give her a lots of liquids in the evenigs. or, set a shedule were you wake up to take her to use the bathroom and eventually she probably get use to wake up on her on?
    GL
    zip10469

Answer by zip10469 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I had this problem as a child too - it lessened the older I got but I still had problems til well into my 20's. I still fear it sometimes that I will wake up wet..ugh.. its terrible and VERY embarressing for the child too. did the Doctor have any recommendations?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Anna is on that same medicine but it doesnt work for her. Could stress be a cause?
    RebelRose84

Answer by RebelRose84 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• She'll grow out of it. I know you hear that all the time. I was a bedwetter until I was 13. My 8 year old is still a bed wetter. We've tried everything and now I will go the route my parents did and just let her grow out of it. I think sometimes I am more embarrassed of it than she is. I am afraid if she goes to a sleepover and brings a pullup she will be ridiculed. She tells me she isn't worried about it. My 4 year old does not have problems though. Kind of weird.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My oldest son, 12 now has aspergers, wet the bed till he was 10 and still does from time to time. We tried giving no drinks after 7 ect you name it we tried it! I would try the good night/ pull ups just to save bed sheets and her being wet in the middle of the night, but I do agree they eventually grow out of it. There are alarms also someone told me about once but I can't remember the name of them. It just may be that she is just a sound sleeper that she can't wake herself or feel the sensation that she has to go to wake up and go.
    srmomof4

Answer by srmomof4 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

I have a friend whose son is 14 and takes this medicine, but he has to take a much larger does than my son ever did.  You might ask the doctor about upping the dosage.  Like I said, we only used the medication when him wetting the bed might cause him humiliation.  On a regular nightly basis we just dealt with it.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• 2 hrs before bedtime stop giving ALL liquids and wake her up twice a night for her to go pee until she gets used to it...worked for my 7 yr old sister in about a month but everyone is different.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2009