Breastfeeding, 5 months old

My mom is concerned my DS is not getting enough to eat. He nurses about every 2- 2.5 hours and nurses only for 10 minutes max.
when I pump and give him a bottle about 3 ounces holds him over, How much should he be eating? He looks healthy and is Happy Im not too worried but would like to know, also he does not sleep through the night, and Im exhausted, any tips?

Thank you moms =)

childofGod51509

Asked by childofGod51509 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thank you ladies you are all very helpful, He does have plenty of wet diapers, and my mom was kind of comparing to all of her children, we were all breastfed and took at least 20 minutes, she just was wondering if it was enough, so we decided to look into it... she knows Im taking very good care of him =)

I will try the "something" that smells like me, I have been told that before and Im going to try it thanks!
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• At five months, my dd would nurse for 20 min or more every 2-2.5 hrs... so I don't really know... She started sleeping through the night about 4 1/2 months... I guess if weight gain and diapers are consistent, don't worry about it?
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Is he having enough wet/dirty diapers? That would be the main sign that he isn't getting enough. My 2 1/2 month old dd eats 4 to 5oz (when I pump) and that will hold her for 3 to 4 hours. So for your little guy to eat 3 oz every 2 hours, that is 6 for every 4 hours, that seems about right to me. My boys were bottle fed and they usually ate 5 to 6 oz every 3 hours.
    Anonymous

• All babies are different! Like big people, some eat fast and some eat slow. Breastmilk is digest faster than formula, so a breastfed baby will eat more often than a formula fed baby.

If your baby is dehydrated, his eyes will be dull, he will be lethargic and his soft spot will be sunken in.

In other words, tell mom to butt out.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My son will be 5 months in a few days and he is taking 10oz in a bottle every 4 hours. But he also sleeps through the night. If your doctor has said that he is gaining the right amount of weight for his age then he should be fine but if you worry about it then i would call the doctor and ask them about it. It never hurts to call.My son is eating at least 45oz of formula a day. I would pump more if i were you to try to see how much he is eating in one day.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My oldest and youngest son's were very "efficient" (read, fast) nursers. lol They nursed for 10 minutes max each side and I could feel that they had drained every drop. They were gaining weight and had wet diapers - that's how you tell if a bfed baby is eating enough. He many only take 3 ounces from a bottle because he doesn't like the bottle and only takes enough to take the edge of his hunger.
    My kids were sleeping through the night (8 plus hours) around 2 months. They used a "heartbeat" bear that is sound and motion activated to simulate the noises heard in the womb (but a white noise machine works too), and then they had a lovey (small 6 x 6 inch blanket) that I wore tucked into my bra when they were awake and then put in the crib with them when they went to sleep so they had my smell. One or both of those might work.

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The first year of mommy hood is tough on your sleep schedule especially if your nursing. Most bf infants will wake up during the night to feed at least once. Check his wet diapers and call your ped if you have any concerns. My daughter nursed like your son, snail pace! lol Then my second child sucked me dry like a vacuum...he was the chubbiest thing...all babies are different nursers. Hang in there.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT! just nurse when ever baby wants 2 also co-sleepin'is the only way 2 get sleep! good luck
    DM-dreamgirl

Answer by DM-dreamgirl at 3:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• ypur baby sounds fine! tell mom to butt out. here is a link that tells you what to look for to see if baby is getting enough http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    sleeping through the night, ah someday! nap when u can!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The formula mom doesn't know what she's talking about.. Babies eat more formula because they A. have stretched stomachs and B. formula is harder to digest and less nutritious

3 ounces is a fine amount and actually he probably eats more than that from you anyway since it's more pleasant.

6-8 wet diapers per day and you are fine and just tell your mother that!

10 minutes max per feeding is fine. My son is 8 months old and eats for 6 - 10 minutes .. they're efficient.

Sleep-wise.. I don't really know.. my son didn't sleep through the night (sortof, he wakes up once at 5 am - big improvement from every 3 hours! lol) til recently and I tried every trick in existence. I think white noise did help some and so did me taking a nap in the afternoon with him. Lovies and making sure something smells like you might also help.. but really I think it is more developmental than anything... sorry!! :)

Good luck in all!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2009