I need to kick this nasty habit! Help!

It started when I was very young. I used to suck my thumb until age 9. I replaced that habit with biting my nails until age 12. I replaced that habit with biting the skin off my fingertips! Sometimes until they bleed. Im in my 30's now. Sometimes when im nervous or bored. It starts out like if I have a hang nail or I will dig at the skin with my fingernail and it sticks out so I pull at it which makes it worse. Its like a snowball effect. The skin heals and grows back thicker but I do it again! What can I do? I cant put band aids on them all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Maybe you can chew gum or carrots when you get nervous. The only way to break a habit is to put something else in its place. If you're nervous or bored, got out for a walk or make something in the kitchen. Since it's your hands I can tell that you get idle hands, so you should hold something else. Maybe one of those stress balls or a deck of cards that you can stack. If nothing else works, put something that leaves a nasty aftertaste on your nails, like acetone or pickle juice.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 3:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You know my friend had that same problem and she getsher nails done and that has helped her out BIG TIME. That is all that I can think of that would help you out maybe.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• but has she stopped the habit? I used to get my nails done back when I had the money. I think it did help a little. Anyone else?
    Anonymous