What to do when he won't take the medicine?

My son (8) complained of a headache this morning so I gave him some decongestant and left him some Tylenol to take. He refused to take the Tylenol (the kind that melts in your mouth) and said he felt better. 30 minutes later I get a call from school to pick him up.
Now he's laying on the living room floor in tears, afraid to move because his head hurts so much. He's thrown up once already but still refuses to take the Tylenol. There's nothing else I can do for him if he won't take the medicine and I have little patience for him when there is a "cure" in his hand and he won't take it and then complains of the pain.
I can't force it down his throat. He hasn't eaten anything today and won't move off the living room floor (because of the pain). He's apparently having a migraine (been there, done that so I understand).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 2:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If its only been today, then he really doesnt need to go to the ER like another mother said. All they will do is give him medicine but if he is refusing to take it, its not gonna help... they cant force it either. At 8 years old, he should have the concept that medicine will make him feel better and its his choice to take it or not. FYI... I wouldnt waste my time trying to get him to take tylenol because it will NOT help a migraine! If you have to push something, I would push motrin. JMO though
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Honestly, at that age, I would just let him be like that if he totally refuses the medicine. Not much you can do really.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I don't think it's to do with the medicine... he's in pain and wants his mommy to baby him. Go get him on the couch and let him snuggle his lil head on your lap with a pillow, put some cartoons on really low volume.. THEN offer the medicine. He needs you mommy. Go coddle him. :)
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 2:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Right now he's crying that he wants his little sister to leave him alone because she's making too much noise. I pointed out that in about 30 minutes his other 2 sisters will be home and the house is going to get a whole lot noisier. I suggested he move into his sister's room across from mine where it's dark and quiet but he won't move and I can't life him (he's weighs almost 70lbs).
    Gotta go...now he's really crying because she's upsetting him.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If he is laying on the floor crying in pain, not eating..he needs to be taken to the ER....Tylenol is not going to touch that headache. He threw up from the pain, please take him and get him seen. There could be something else going on that is worse than a migraine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If he won't take the meds he won't take the meds. You can't shove them down his throat. Just make him nice an comfy in his bad close the door and windows. Leave the pill on his bed side table. if he chooses to take them great. If not...Well, that's kinda his problem at that point I guess. I would call the doctor if he is still in this much pain by morning.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 10:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Well your son is old enough to realize how important it is to take the medicine if he wants to feel better. I know as a mom you want him to take it and feel better, but unfortunately you cant shove it down his throat if he will not take it. Is it just that kind of medicine he does not like? Maybe if you tried another type-- like childrens advil or motrin in liquid form, or try another flavor. My 1 son is very picky about how his medicine tastes and if he does not like the flavor it can be hard to get it in him. I know how painful headaches can be. 2 things work for me when I have bad headaches-- either a nice warm soaking bath, or laying/lying down in a cold dark room and trying to sleep.
    I hope your son will give in and take the medicine, and that he feels better soon!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2009