Children and Weight Watchers....

I have an 11 year old daughter who is about 4'9" (i think) and weighs nearly 140 lbs. Her doctor did a metobolic panel 6 months ago, and all was normal (thyroid, glucose, insulin). We went back for a follow up, and she gained 10 lbs in 6 mths. Im scared as hell for her! Her father and I are both normal weight people, but he has type II diabetes, high cholesterol and is hispanic. This puts my daughter at a higher risk for health problems. I am pretty healthy and not overweight. I buy healthy foods and pack lunches that usually consist of yogurt, grapes, carrots, string cheese, and water. My older daughter tells me that dad buys junk food, but he denies it. Says he quit all the junk food. Seems reasonableto me, he has lost weight. I enrolled my 11 year old in Tai Kwon Do...she loves it! But, we need to do more. Has anyone enrolled their child in Weight Watchers? Her doc says he will write a note saying she can join....

jlm202610

Asked by jlm202610 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does she WANT to lose weight? If she's not on board with wanting to be healthier then joining WW won't help much. I haven't enrolled my kids in WW (they're very skinny), but have had friends who were members and I think it's a great program - stresses sensible eating and exercise.

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It sounds like the Weight Watchers is worth a try. Why not do it with her even though you are at a healthy weight- then she doesn't feel singled out, it would be something the two of you could share, and you can stress that eating right is not only about losing weight but something everyone should do. If she is gaining weight that quickly and with no medical reason she has to be getting unhealthy food somewhere and you should surely try to discover the source, at least to make sure she is not sneaking food or developing other worrisome habits that could affect her for the rest of her life, and that no one is sabotaging your efforts to turn this around. Also maybe talking to a school counselor or other third party would help your daughter work thru the process, it has to be hard for her as I am sure she knows she has a weight problem. It sounds like you are on the right track to help her solve this problem, good luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• WW stresses healthy eating. You can join online & learn about the program. The whole family could do it as a way of healthy eating. This way she will not feel like you are picking on her because she is fat. WW helps maintain weight as well so if you are at a weight that is good for you, you can maintain, others can loose.
    devtysmom

Answer by devtysmom at 3:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think you have to be a certain age to enroll in WW. Call them and make sure. She isn't going to follow the plan if she doesn't want to lose the weight. Talk to her doctor about a referral to a nutritionist to help her set a healthy eating and exercise plan. She is a child and still needs certain nutitional components. You are right to worry. She could easily develop diabetes. Maybe the whole family can start eating healthy and exercise together. Have her teach you Tae Kwon Do moves, go for walks, play games outside (baseball, kickball, tag). Also, it takes time to lose weight and she will probably gain muscle before she starts losing fat. Give it time to see any results, no matter what you decide to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Jen, has she ever been seen by a therapist? I just wonder if she isn't upset about something and this is her way of coping. I've been there...
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My daughters doctor has said not to bring up the word "Diet". Just to have her be more active. My personal experience with weight problems, has made me very worried about this same issue for my daughter. I have done a lot a reasearch, and the experts (including Dr Phil) say the fastest way to cause a eating disorder,is to focus too much on weight and diet at this age. Everyone can be more active.Get the entire family involved and don't just single her out.
    Anonymous

• LOL Sorry but Dr Phil is NOT an expert.

No do not mention diet....talk about healthy eating, watch calories together and sugar content. Definitely more exercise. If that doesnt seem to help you need to find another Dr because the one you have could be missing something.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2009