What is the difference between spreadable cream cheese and block cream cheese?

I'm going to try to make a cheesecake. Never made one before. The recipe calls for fat free cream cheese. The store that I went to only had the fat free cream cheese in the spreadable. I bought it but I'm thinking that I should maybe go somewhere else and try to look for the block cream cheese instead. What is your opinion?

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The only difference I've ever noticed is that the spreadable is...well, spreadable. lol If I try to spread block on a bagel or something, it doesn't want to spread. Spreadable does. As to whether or not it would make a difference in your cheesecake, I'm not sure. Is this for an event, or just b/c you want to make one? If it's just b/c you want to make one, I'd try it with the spreadable and see what happens. If it doesn't turn out, then you know. But if it's for an event, I'd probably go look for the block.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Spreadable cream cheese is just easier to spread vs a block of cream cheese. They both taste and work the same way. You have to let the block come to room temp or soften in the microwave for about 15 seconds in order to be able to use it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I've never used spreadable cream cheese for baking, only for bagels and such. I use the block cream cheese when I bake
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The spreadable cream cheese has been whipped. It has air in it. It will not measure right for a cheese cake. You don't have to use the fat-free cheese for the recipe. Here is a very easy recipe.

http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/no-bake-raspberry-cheese-cake/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The consistency is different. I'm not sure it would work.
    Anonymous