Toddler Friendly Meal Ideas?

I'm trying to come up with a meal plan for the week and I'm having a hard time cause there's only about 6 different things for snacks and such that I can mix and match that my toddler will eat.

She'll eat anything that looks like cake, cookies, chicken nuggets, fries, yogurt, cheese (BIG FAN of cheese), and, sometimes, she'll eat bananas or apples.

Anyone have any ideas for meals and such?

AmandaMarie821

Asked by AmandaMarie821 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My daughters snacks consists of madarian orange cup, grapes, gerber grduates cheetos, sugar free cookies, yogurt. I usually don cook so I just buy her the Gerber Graduate meals. I like them because they have the protein and the vegetables. When I do cook then I will feed her whatever we are eating. She also likes grilled cheese, hot dogs, veggies and rice. I try to feed her healthier foods throughout the day.
    Anonymous

• >.< Unfortunately, my daughter is allergic to wheat so it kind of limits our options. Especially with the gerber graduate meals. I found one that didn't have wheat in it and my daughter didn't eat it. Then again, if she gets hungry enough she will XD
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Tortillas....there is like a million things you can do. Let her make a pizza with pepperoni or just dip it in the sauce. Make a BLT with ranch dressing. Quesadillas, breakfast burrito, chalupa, fill with cream cheese and ranch dry dip and sneak in avacado, put chicken nuggets in it and let her dipit in an asian red sauce stuff, sprinkle cinn and sugar. Is this bad for her allergies?

I like to let my kids get a cookie cutter and let them cut a shape out of their bologna or toast. Got any letter or number shapes?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• There's a small "gluten-free" section of the grocery store that I can go to to see what they have. If not, I can always make breads and what not from scratch, I just don't have the time or the energy sometimes to go that far.

I mean, her allergy isn't too intense, so she gets wheat sometimes (like in the breading of a chicken nugget or a cookie), but it's not bad bad.
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i'm a gluten-free cook. i have a kid-friendly section

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I hope that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Here are some suggestions to help get your child on the path to healthy eating: Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

• Does she like mac and cheese? You can always slip some veggies or hot dogs in it. Maybe try some carrots with ranch dip, kids seem to love that. Maybe try some spaghetti, never knew a kid that didn't like that. String cheese for snacks. Apples dipped in yogurt. And they sell those prepackaged apple slices with dip now. Have you tried giving her grapes? You can freeze them and my kids always liked that. And she might like the Gogurts. And Yoplait whipped yogurt tastes good frozen, almost like an ice cream treat but healthier.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Cheerios Breakfast Cookies
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup water
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 cup egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters)
    1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
    3 oz. mini chocolate chips
    3 cups Cheerios cereal
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat sugar, canola oil, peanut butter, water, vanilla and egg substitute together with an electric mixer until well-combined. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, oats and chocolate chips. Very gently, fold in the Cheerios. Drop the dough (it will be sticky) by rounded quarter-cupfuls onto an ungreased or silpat-lined cookie sheet. Flatten the dough gently with your fingertips.

Bake cookies in the preheated oven 13 to 15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely before serving. Store in an airt
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Sugar Free Peanut Butter Oatmeal and Banana Cookies, healthy for kids

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    2 ripe bananas (overripe is fine)
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tbsp soy milk
    2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
    2 ½ cups quick cooking or rolled oatmeal
    dash cinnamon (optional)
    1/4 cup flour
    Preparation:
    In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork until smooth. Add peanut butter, soy milk, vanilla and maple syrup and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
    Drop spoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 13-16 minutes at 350 degrees, or until done.

Note: This recipe is only truly sugar-free if you used unsweetened peanut butter and unsweetened soymilk, so read the ingredients list and look for soy milk that says "Unsweetened" right on the label.

Nutrition Facts: One cookie provides approximately:
    Calories: 98, Calories from Fat: 30
    Total F
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2009