three month old sleeping advice??

Hi im trying to get my three month old on a schedule and to start sleeping by herself and be able to soothe herself and fall asleep without me i might try the cry it out routine..but i would like to know hear some advice and tips before i do..thanx

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 3:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my routine w/ my daughter, now 7 mos, has always been: storytime, bath time at 8:30, breastfeed, bed. if you dont BF, just replace that with bottle.
    my daughter falls asleep while BF. but its good to do the same routine every nite and make sure its at the same time too.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• WHY?? WHY must your three month old who has no idea that you are even separate entities.. SOOTHE herself?

Why?? I just do not get why people are so ... ugh ...

A 3 month is -not- going to conform to some schedule so you are going to end up trying CIO -- CIO can damage brains by the way.

I can't begin to fathom thinking.. when my son was 3 months old ... thinking that he needed to "behave" or else I'd ignore him while he screamed in need of me and wanting nothing but to be close to me and for me to love him.

If this is what you want.. though.. none of us can stop you. But just know it is abuse after a baby cries unattended for more than 45 minutes.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What worked for my kids was a sound and motion activated "hearbeat bear" (white noise machine also works) and a small (6 x 6 inch) blankie that I wore inside my bra while they were awake, and then tucked into bed with them. Wait until she's very tired, but not overtired. We always did a bath, massage, breastfeed, then 2 books and 1 song at the side of their crib. I didn't let them fall asleep breastfeeding b/c I figured I'd have to wean them off of that later and didn't want them to need the breast to get themselves back to sleep at night if they woke up.

Answer by missanc at 4:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Anyway.. baby calming methods not breast/bottle: pacifier, swaddling, rocking, singing, massaging gently, rubbing ears gently, walking around, white noise, laying next to you, a baby blanket that smells like you underneath him/her, sheets that smell like you
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 4:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I would not even think about attempting CIO until a baby is 18 months and most babies need quite a lot of soothing from mommy til they are much older. That is why I am mad.

LITERAL self-soothing really doesn't come into play until a baby is at least 6 months old (like when people talk about laying baby down wide awake and the baby goes to sleep), and even then an over-tired or hurting baby will always need momma to help them sleep.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 4:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• You do not use Cry It Out on a 3 month old.
    Anonymous

• do any of you bashing idiots even know how the cry it out method works? please go to baby centre.com and then come back and bash me and by soothe herself i mean she can be by herself for more than 5 minutes without me,, i have my daughter 24 7 i hardly ever put her down i sing with her and play with her and attend to her every need which is why i want her on a schedule now please leave your bitchyness up your ass where it belongs
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i never used cio method on my babies. espeacially that young.at 3 months old she is still adjusting to not being in your womb. imagine it she was with you snuggled and warm and then all of a sudden shes on the outside.she still needs mommy there to soothe herself. espeacially at night. imo i think you should wait until shes a little bit olderto begin any sleep training.JMO. i co-slept with my dd then and breastfed her so it was always easier to have her there wit hme and she slept thru the night perfectly when snuggled with me.please dont do cio on a baby that young.good luck
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 4:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i sleep with my daughter too i said i MIGHT use it anyway the only reason im asking for advice is because i am starting school soon and im going to have other things to do i cant have her with me every single second!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i hate cio method andeven i know that cio isnt use on babies that young. maybe you should research cio cuz your baby isnt ready. your baby still needs you. your the mom so deal with it. WE KNOW HOW IT WORKS BUT SHE IS TOO YOUNG WAIT TILL SHE IS 4 MTS
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009