would you care if..

mil wanted to buy your 8 yr old a necklace from Tiffany's for Christmas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no but i would make sure my dd took care of it
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• nope, and i would keep it in mind anytime she wanted nice things in the future. sounds like a real-life fairy godmother.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Why not? It's the MIL's gift to give. Besides, you can teach your daughter about taking care of something and keeping it nice for a long time, especially since it won't have been cheap. I would say thank you.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 3:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Heck yes I would care. What a waste of money!!!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Depends on the 8 year old. Is she capable of taking care of her things and can you be sure she won't lose or ruin it? I might oppose buying my daughter something very expensive but that is just me.
    Anonymous

• no
    buti do thinodd gift for an 8 year old>>>LOL most dont care about a necklace, it could come from Kmart and it would be the same reaction

but if your daughter is into jewlery maybe she'll appreciate its worth
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I agree w/anon that it depends on whether or not you think your daughter will take care of it. But I think it is important lesson to teach kids to receive ALL gifts in a generous manner and would not refuse this gift. So long as a gift comes from the heart, there is no WRONG gift. My aunt gave my d an expensive necklace when she was around 10 and I just kept it in MY jewelry box and let her wear it on special dressing up occasions, then put it right back away safely until next time. Ofcourse, we also had her wear it a few time around my aunt too just so she could see her wear it. I still have it and am still keeping it safe for her until she is older. SHe likes knowing she has it and knows that I will give it to her when she is older to wear as she pleases. Like most things in life, for me, it's all about respect.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I AM THE POSTER - Yes it was a very generous offer... but I think she is too young. She wouldnt know the difference between a Tiffany's necklace and a Target necklace. AND mil is getting a Tiffany's necklace for my 15 yr old who WILL appriciate it. I thanked mother in law and said that if she didnt find a necklace she thought my 8 yr old would like that my 8 yr old would LOVE some matching clothing from American Girl.... I think I was able to gently sway her away from Tiffany's. I dont mind the amount of money mil chooses to spend.... I simply dont think it is always age appropriate.
    Anonymous

• I would allow it if the MIL was aware that 8 year olds lose/break things and I hope it wouldn't upset the MIL if a break/lost occured. I'd also ask her how she wanted the child to have it. Weather the child was just to out and out have it and the responibility or if she wanted me to hold it and let her wear it occasionally.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I had a nice peice of jewelry from the time I was a tot. My mother kept it in her good jewelry box (the one we were not allowed to play in) and I wore it at special dress up times and it always went back in the box when I was done. I gave my niece a necklace last Christmas (she was 4) that was "good" and a bunch of play jewelry all together and her mother did the same thing. I am sure this Christmas I will see her wearing the good necklace but know she will be playing with the play jewelry much more often. I have set aside a couple of pieces of jewelry for my neice when older and they will pass to her in HS or early college when she can take care of them (I am a pawn shop junky).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009