how can you tell potty training

How can you tell if your child is willing to learn.

My daughter has only once went on the potty without being asking if she wants to go or me putting her on the potty. She usually just holds her pee pee until I catch her on the potty or she goes on the floor. SOmetimes she will sit on the potty unprompted and the act like she is going, but she doesn't go. She can do it she knows how to do. I just don't think she is that interested. I don't want to put her back in diapers, but I'm wondering if I should just quit or keep going.

I have tried rewards to get her interested but there is no other interest. Anything else

funnygirlecu

Asked by funnygirlecu at 3:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is showing some cues but until she is relaly into it it wont work,beofre she has to pee or poop does she do something. my dd used to cross her legs or hide
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If she's not really interested, don't force it. All children are different. Some train early and others not. I'm following the philosophy of "you can start training at two and the child will be trained by three or wait till the child is three and the child will be trained at three".

I've had off and on interest from my almost three year old twin boys. I started officially training them last week but had to stop because they got sick. They're feeling better now but aren't really into it so I'm going to wait a little longer and try again. I figure if they're ready and willing to train, it'll be less work for me than if I try to "force" it on them.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 6:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I started training my daughter when she would tell me that she has a yucky diaper and would walk around like she had been riding a horse all day!! I put her on the potty about every hour maybe hour and 30 minutes to see if she could try. She still got high fives and a hug for trying even if nothing came out. How old is your daughter? Mine is potty trained at 2 1/2 because she was ready, each child is different though. We also talked about the alphabet and what sounds the letters make. Try to pick a simple activity that your child likes to talk about or do (like reading) and do it while they sit on the potty. Also, if they want to watch a movie or go outside tell them they have to try to put their #1 or #2 in the potty and then once they try they can go have fun (as long as they didn't just go 30 minutes before).
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009