how and when to move your baby to their toddler bed?

So i watch my friends little girl and yesterday she climbed out of her crib and fell! Busted her chin good! She is 2 turning 3 in dec. She says she wont do it again because it hurt, but you know kids they will say anything! LOL I have an 18 month old that doesnt climb yet! Anyways, we dont trust our children to put them in toddler beds yet! They get into everything! I lay my DD down and a hour later she is still sitting in her crib playing with her duckie and talking! I know if i make it easy for her to get out of bed she will play! and i'm afraid of her trying to climb her dresser and stuff because she climbs everything while i am watching her! My friends DD is the same way! How do you know when is best and how do you get them to sleep and not get up and play and when they wake in the a.m. to come STRAIGHT to you? Im afraid i will have to take everything out of her room and put 2 baby gates up so she cant get out! LOL

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 4:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah not possible at 2 to kick back relax and imagine they are sherlock holmes and my child is mellow!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• When they start climbing out of the crib it is time for a toddler bed. Sure you may have to watch them more carefully but what would you rather they fall from, 4 feet from the top of the crib or 8 inches from the toddler bed? As for how to get them to sleep I used bedtime stories. Not the little cute Disney stories with lots of pictures. Those are for daytime. Nice thick, long winded books with very few pictures. I was literally boring them to sleep but they liked the stories and they remember them. They just kick back in their bed or on their beanbag chair and close their eyes and try to imagine the scenes. By the time my daughter was four we had read the complete works of Sherlock Holmes, all five books from the Chronicles of Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, The Secret Garden and King Lear.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 4:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i put my lil one in a toddler bed at 8 or 9 months(she was walking at 7months) when she wakes up she just walks right out to the living room and she loves it.i stay with her until she falls asleep though
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2009