What are some gluten-free, kid-friendly dinners for a 2 year old?

AmandaMarie821

Asked by AmandaMarie821 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• amys makes a great pizza with a rice crust
    Anonymous

• Oreida crispy fries are gluten free(says gluten free under ingredients). So are Hebrew National franks, so there's a super duper easy meal.

You can get gluten free pastas at places like Huckleberries and make your own mac and cheese. We, in desperate times, have taken the cheese packet from regular mac and cheese and mixed it with gluten free pasta but I can't say for certain it was gluten free. I didn't react to it anyway.

Another quick favo my 2yr DS likes is broccoli and cauliflower with melted Kraft singles and cut up ham all in a bowl.

Speaking of bowls, try mashed potatoes, canned corn and cut up ham all in layers in a bowl. DS gobbles that up like crazy.

megan-k

Answer by megan-k at 5:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It's easy to make GF chicken nuggets using a rice breading for the nuggets (it's easier, though, to use ground chicken & add the seasonings & GF breadcrumbs to make meatballs, then bake or fry). You can make homemade french fries using baking potatoes, a food processor and a pan of oil (make sure potatoes are really cold when you put them in the oil to make them crisp). Fruit or veggie sticks with a GF dipping sauce (NOT caramel, as it contains gluten & read labels of salad dressings to check for gluten, too). Any kind of grilled meat is fine, just watch the seasonings. You can get rice pasta from many grocery stores now, as well as ready-made GF meals, some just for kids.

To be honest, you can make just about any 'regular' meal a gluten-free meal by substituting the forbidden ingredients with GF ones.

If you want the names of products, let me know and I will recommend some good one
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• OH! I have a whole GF website! I have gluten-free taco mac, cookies, breads, soups...

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Ragu sauce is gluten free and I'm sure you can find gluten free pasta
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Peanut noodles made with rice noodles
    Tamale pie
    Enchilada (corn tortilla, refred beans, cheese, brown rice)
    Stir-fried vegetables and tofu over brown rice
    Stew with cornmeal dumplings

There are lots of foods. Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Check out 5dollardinners.com. She makes as much gluten-free as possible, is also dairy-free, has 2 small boys who eat it all up. I love her site. You can search for GF recipes there. For a while she cooked entirely GF.
    Anonymous