Has your breast milk ever dried up?

With my first child my breast milk dried up after only 6 weeks. I was pumping (after feedings as my doctor told me to do after a couple of weeks of attempted breastfeeding that wasn't going to well to increase milk) and feeding like I was told to do by the hospital and doctors. I even tried supplements my doctor prescribed to try and increase flow and this didn't help. Eventually I simply dried up and had to go full formula after supplementing formula for her (I refuse to starve my baby and I was barely extracting 1/2 ounce to feed her and she was a great eater and latched on wonderfully etc.) for a while.
With my second it took only 4 weeks for me to dry up. I had to supplement for her as I was barely extracting any milk again to feed her.

Any advice is accepted and please no bashing on my use of supplemental formula.
Thanks for all the help! =)
**Sorry if I seem to jump the gun on thinking I might get bashed... peopl

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had basically the exact same thing as you, BF my DD for 6 weeks and dried up. I got supplements, I ate and drank well, I fed her until she cried because nothing more was coming out, then I would pump after I was done (even though, again nothing would come out). And eventually I was making less and less until one day there was nothing. It happens sometimes. Sorry I can't be much more help!
    Anonymous

• i only made milk when i drank two tall glasses of water before every feeding... a few minutes after drinking i could feel my breasts get full
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• what did the doctor give you to make more milk?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I had to suppliment too. For my son it was from day one, he latched one great but I didn't produce enough milk for him. With my DD, my milk never came in so she was strictly formula fed. Both of my kids are doing great. They are healthy, happy, well rounded little people. I don't really have any advice, just wanted to share my story.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I am wondering why you and the doctors though your supply was low to begin with? The answer to this could be key to avoiding it happening again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• A pump in no way gives you an accurate idea of how much milk you are actually producing. Even the best pumps are significantly less effective than baby at extracting the milk. I STRONGLY recommend you get a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Don't trust the pump to know if your baby is getting enough, if your baby is hungry they WILL let you know. The best way to establish & maintain a good supply of milk is this: 1) Nurse on demand, NEVER on a schedule 2) Eat well, drink plenty of water & milk (if you can drink milk) 3) Rest whenever you have the opportunity 4) Co-sleep with and/or wear your baby so that you are able to understand their cues better & you are more able to facilitate effective night feedings.  You should also see if there is a lactation consultant available to you.  Also join a breastfeeding group here on CM & go to a La Laeche Meeting. The more support you have the better!
    Good Luck!!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 5:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think you are lucky lol I stopped BFing when he was 5 months old so I could take the drugs I got for getting my wisdom teeth out. By the time I was ready to pick up BFing again(like 1 week) he didn't want to. Anyways mine still hasn't dried up and he is 14 months old, it shoots out like a fire hose if I lay down wrong
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Oh OwensMama, I fear that you were given bad advice. I've never heard of having to interrupt nursing for oral surgery. I'm sorry you were maybe given poor advice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I was taking muscle relaxers and pain killers and didn't want to pass it to him
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I've never heard of muscle relaxers for oral surgery, but generally, muscle relaxers and pain killers, when taken short term and as directed, are safe. GENERALLY. Just so you have the information should you ever need it :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2009