Has your child ever been put to sleep at the dentist for them to work on there teeth?

My son who just turned 3 is going to the dentist tomorrow they are going to have to put him to sleep to work on his teeth. He has a few cavaties they are going to fill. Im just a little nervous about him being put to sleep. If they don't though they won't be able to do cuz he won't stay still for them to do so. Can someone make me feel a little better about this. Thanks

braelynsmommy

Asked by braelynsmommy at 3:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I first took my oldest son to the dentist he was absolutely petrified and the dentist couldn't do anything.We tried everything and he was still scared. I think it had to do with just several months before he was attacked by a neighbor dog and bit horribly on his mouth and face. So we rescheduled with the dentist and he put him to sleep to fix the couple of cavities he had and it went perfectly. Now he is 10 and he does great at the dentist. He don't like to go but he sits there so they can clean his teeth or whatever they need to do. So I don't think putting your child to sleep is a very big deal and for some it might be the only way to get their teeth fixed if they are scared. I would do it again if it was the only way for my sons teeth to get fixed. If you have any other questions about it I will be glad to answer the best I can =)
    a_luv2sing

Answer by a_luv2sing at 3:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Nick-

Ireland (age 4 at the time) just had work done at the dentist this spring under IV Sedation. They gave her a shot initally which made her "dizzy'--then the took her back and started the IV. She did REALLY--REALLY well! It is a little weird to see your them in kind-of an altered state--but in the end they don't remember anything. Ireland still enjoys going to the dentist as she has in the past--I am happy that we took that route. Best of luck to Brae!
    Aimz

Answer by Aimz at 4:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I know it's scary, but it's probably for the best. The doctor will only give your son enough sedation to keep him "under" for a short amount of time. Putting him to sleep will help the doctor get his work done faster, which is best for everyone. I was put to sleep when I got my wisdom teeth out. It wasn't scary at all to me... when I woke up, I was a little confused, so just tell the dentist that you want to be there immediately when he wakes up so he's not scared. Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hello I am a dental assistant and normally when kids are about that age and dont let the doctor do anything on them they have to put them to sleep. If u dont the dr. cant work on the patient. Normally they will give the kid some stuff to drink and it will make them really drowsy but most of the time they dont fall asleep. it depends of the body. it will relax them or they will fall asleep.
    monkeygirl1280

Answer by monkeygirl1280 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Both of my children were put to sleep to do dental work. I was a nervous wreck, thankfully my husband was there and it didn't take very long (most was one hour). The best and saddest part was when they wheeled them back to us in their rooms. They were so groggy looking but sure glad to see mom.
    christina2720

Answer by christina2720 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son had to do the same thing! The procedure was definitly better in the long run, I really can't even imagine them having to fill his teeth one at a time on different dates. I think that it's the best way. And my son did fine, he was a little out of it for a couple of hours but it was definitly worth it.
    Anonymous

• Isaiah was sedated but completely awake.....oh, that was a horrible experience because Isaiah was still scared and loopey. The dentist ended up being cruel to Isaiah after he turned sideways and the stuff in his mouth fell out. She abruptly and angrily "whipped" his head back in place and had the meanest face. Will NEVER EVER go back to her again:( Almost wish he would have been asleep...but I would have worried over that as well.
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 7:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2008