Do you say something?

Had a proctored midterm today (testing center at the campus library). There were too many people, so some of us were placed at regular computers where anyone can come in to do homework/check email/etc. Half way through the exam, a woman came in, obviously in desperate need of a kleenex. She spent a half hour sniffling (the loud, wet swallow sniffle) and hocking pretty much every other time she breathed. Finally after getting dirty looks from the entire room for a half hour she went in search of something to blow her nose.
The proctor walked right past her several times and never said anything, so I figured there was nothing I could do. But now I see my exam score - the only thing I missed was the question I was working on when she arrived, and it's wrong because of a typo, not a mistake. At that point I was focusing more on just getting it done without throwing up. Wish I'd said something. Would you have?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I just gave my students a midterm today. The rule was, if you do ANYTHING disruptive during the exam, you will be ejected and not eligible for any make-up. No talking, no cell phones, no barfing, etc. (The barfing is me since I'm the morning sickness queen.) Your proctor is an idiot and a disgrace. Part of the university honor code is to repsect the rights of all students to succeed by neither giving unauthorized aide nor creating inappropriate disruption. Report the problem to the department chair.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• No, maybe caught the proctor's eye by waving a kleenex in my hand and indicating that the proctor should offer it to the lady.

Answer by Bmat at 5:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I wouldnt have said anything
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't have.
    Anonymous

• yeah, i would have said something. not knowing what is expected-behavior in that situation (school/test-wise, of course), i would have offered a kleenex myself, or told her to excuse herself. she was totally rude, not to mention gross. of course, if you mention it now, as means of excusing your diminished grade/typo, it will sound childish.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• (funny, i just realized my changed-avatar kinda goes with the situation. LOL)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I would have offered a kleenex but you were in a part of the room that was open to the public so distractions are going to happen. However she should have realized that there was a test going on and got her own kleenex.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 5:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2009