Do you think its dangerous to have children when you are forty or more?

has anyone else thought of having children beyond forty?

writersvalley

Asked by writersvalley at 5:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont think its dangerous but if you're going to have a baby over forty look into the risks of the pregnancy. Its your body and your life so I dont see a problem with it.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• just as dangerous as having a baby under 21.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• nope.... worse to have them too young!
    Anonymous

• You know what... I had my 3rd baby (boy) at 41 and my 4th (girl) at 42 and they are both perfect! yes, statistically the risks do go up, but, that's something you just go into the situation knowing & really, every pregnancy come with potential risks. Both of our "late in life blessings" were surprises... no, make that BIG SURPRISES! But, we're having a blast with them and our 25 yr old daughter & 18 yr old son are absolutely in love with them. They have really livened up our lives and brought back a ton of fun!!! You just have to think through the pros and cons as they relate to your life, then go with your heart!... Just as if you were in your 20's or 30's.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I wouldnt do it and I dont think its a great thing(but I dont think having kids in your teen years is great either).

I think you are taking some mighty high risks...risks on your body and on your children. After about 42/43 I think it becomes pure selfishness to do it.

But thats my opinion and its not a popular one.
    Anonymous

• Medically speaking you are putting yourself and your child at greater risks HOWEVER, it is not unheard of or necessarily life threatening.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Heck. How old was Sarah when she got pregnant? (Just sayin', as this is posted in religion and beliefs.)

Answer by gdiamante at 7:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• There are increased risks of Downs and other genetic disorders. Females are born with all the eggs they'll ever have, so as we age, the eggs also age. Drs recommend testing for these issues for any woman over 35.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Honestly? I don't think it's exactly "dangerous" as much as "risky". Women who choose to have children over 35 should be WELL informed of the risks associated with having children later in life. I don't care how healthy you say you are, your eggs are aging along with your body.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Many thanks for your answers. They were all really interesting...
    writersvalley

Answer by writersvalley at 9:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2009