Do you cover the mirrors in your home when someone in your family dies?

Mirrors are said to be able to trap spirits 'between the worlds'. It is still common practice in many cultures and religions to cover the mirrors in the house after a death in the family, at least until the body is taken for burial. Until fairly recent times, the bodies of the deceased were laid out in their own homes, and it was believed that if the dead person's spirit caught a glimpse of itself in the mirror, it would remain in the house, trapped in the glass. Many people caution, therefore, against buying antique mirrors and keeping them in the house, because over the years, no doubt they had seen a death or two.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 5:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes, I have heard of this and seen it practiced in my family and with friends. I do know it is practiced among the Jewish faith, as someone has already answered on here.
    I did not know, however that buying antique mirrors can contain trapped spirits. This interests me, and has sparked my interest in buying one now! Of course I've always liked antiques anyway, and always felt that furniture pieces "talk" for themselves and have a certain "spirit" about them already.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• wow ive never heard of that! thats pretty interesting though. may i ask what religions/cultures practice this?
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• the example you used is exactly why i do buy old antique mirrors lol

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• No, we don't practice that in our family though I have heard of it. I know that when my grandfather's grandparents passed away the bodies were laid out in the front room of their house and the mirrors were covered. I can remember him telling me that when I was younger. His family was from Poland. Over time we have not carried on the tradition of covering mirrors after a death.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yes I do. And I can tell you for certian that the stories are true. My closet doors in the kids bedroom are mirrored. and were when my grandfather died in front of them... We still have issues in there!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Nope, we're not superstitious. Once a person dies, their spirit is immediately gone either to heaven or hell. No communication with the living, no traveling around no lingering, looking in mirrors or anything.
    Anonymous

• why isit people believe that once a person dies their spirit immediately goes to heaven or hell but doesnt the bible say something like your body rest until jesus returns to take you to heaven and those left behind burn in hell?
    Anonymous

• Hubby is Jewish and to the Jewish people this is a tradition, so yes we do. It's not just about spirits, it's also about vanity. You are not supposed to be thinking of yourself when someone has died.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Ive heard of this before but never done it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Anon, I never understood that either. I think it might have come about because people don't like the thought of lying in the ground rotting, waiting for Jesus to return and the thought of immediately going to heaven or hell seems better.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2009