Contractions and how they hurt exactly

So I've read all about contractions, that they hurt and your uterus tightens up. What type of pain is it? A menstrual cramp? Sharp pain? All over your stomach or localized? Books don't really detail this for you, so any pain and you get nervous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it really can vary. if you think you are having one feel your stomach... if it is hard like a basketball all over its a contraction.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I thought it was a mix of menstrual cramps mixed with gas pains. Sort of comes in a wave where it's manageable, but it will peak a bit more painful then drift off again. They start out like light cramps, not usually bad at all, but with time, continues to get stronger, last longer & more painful. & Your stomach gets really hard & tight.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• they are a burning feeling that just gets worse and worse as it goes
    Anonymous

• Hard and tight are the words I'd use. A wrenching feeling like really intense menstrual cramps.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• it varies for each woman. my worse ctx were just like very bad menstrual cramps. some women will tell you that it felt like their uterus was exploding. take of it what you will. if you're in the mindset that it's going to hurt that bad then it will.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009