is anyone skipping trick or treating because of H1N1?

I have two toddlers and I am pregnant, we are skipping halloween and trick or treating this year. My husband will be out of town and not here to help me take the kids but we had also considered skipping it before we knew he would be out of town just because of all of the germs and sickness going around right now.
Our town has a big thing for kids at the mall every year and im sure it will be crawling with germs YUCK ...
anyone staying home due to H1N1?

Riosmommy

Asked by Riosmommy at 6:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Health

• no, people can be sick any time.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Nope. We'll go out. I'm sure they get exposed to germs more at daycare than at the mall.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 6:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• but having them all together right now while MORE people are sick doesn't change that???

Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 6:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• jlry ldy
    More germs at daycare? Some malls have hundreds even thousands of kids come thru for trick or treating ... Im guessing your kids dont go to daycare with that may other children.

We are also not trick or treating this year for a few reasons H1N1 being one of them.
    Anonymous

• i agree there will be more germs at my mall then any daycare in town im sure!
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 6:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Nope. Germs actually help build the immune system. Actually my oldest was diagnosed with the flu and is going trick or treating again tomorrow. I've been called selfish and irresponsible but he feels better, is begging to go and I am not going to keep him caged up for 2 weeks just because he can be contagious for that long.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• wow purpleducky ...
    its because of parents like you that ill be keeping my young kids home
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 6:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Why? Even if I was to just go out your kids would still be exposed to germs because I am probably carrying the germs around. It is keeping your kids inside all the time away from germs that they get the sickest when finally exposed to something. Am I suppose to also stay caged up for 2 weeks? What about my husband? He has to work. Should he just call off for 2 weeks because he might be carrying our son's flu germs to work?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:57 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I would def stay home since I've been out and about exposed to people and crap I noticed I';m not feeling so good myself. One thing I read somewhere that is suppose to help is avoid drinkling too much cold stuff and try to stay with warm liquids NOT hot. Also gargle with lots of salt water its suppose to kill strep and any other throat infection. If you get any ear infections Olive Oil is suppose to help cure,so long as it has minced garlic soaking in it...As far as the stomach virus goes haven't read any cures for that yet.
    Anonymous

• Nope, I have a 5 year old, a 2 year old and I'm pregnant..and a single mom. We went trick-or-treating last night and we're going again tomorrow night. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2009