Does anyone grow herbs indoors in the winter?

I have a bunch of windowsill pots that I'm going to start indoors for the winter. I like cooking with fresh herbs. Was wondering if others did this and what they grow

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 6:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I did. Some things will require lights bc plants respond to the length of the light-dark cycle. So timer that you can plug the lights into will work great. I grew basil, peppers, thai basil, rosemary, and many kinds of hot chilies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• my DH is growing some right now. he has a TON! basil, oregano, dill, parsley, peppermint, spearmint, chives, sage, & rosemary.

we've also got 3 types of peppers & a pineapple that he's been growing for almost a year haha. we moved this summer so we missed out on garden goodness, but i cant wait for spring!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:34 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You know I'd love to! But wondering what could Grow? We don't have decent windows! Many Frost up and all we get is Jack Frost's gorgeous Art work to look at! I got 2 cute pots the other day at Target. Shot glass size for Lavendar which I adore & some parsley. The WI. winters are cold here! Brutal! We have little soutern exposure and no real window sills!! We had a Big Area of peppermint! But its all damaged and ruined, gone where our septic lid is where we have problems! So that's gone! As for other herbs it wasn't a good year in the garden. With hardly any rain for July & August. DH does organic gardening. Since he raises a lot of chickens. When he cleans their coop and enclosures he gets some great material for gardening. May not get Eggs much this year but the chicken manure sure helps things Grow.. During our short growing Season! Best of Luck to you!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2009