Do you cook healthy food for your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Health

• Of course.
    Mostly organic and lots of veggies. In fact, i'm trying to steer away from red meats and cook more vegetarian dishes. ...still learning though.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I try to. They love chicken, so when I cook that, it's either baked or stir fry and I always get a veggie in there, usually broccoli. Now we do hamburger helper somtimes, but with ground turkey so it's healthy too and I even sneak a veg in with that. They are pretty easy on the healthy stuff though so I don't have a difficult time with em eating what I fix.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Absolutely! Lots of vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Mostly organic.

Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• What do you define "healthy food"?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 7:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I try to.

only the rare packaged, 'convenience' foods in our house

everything's from scratch and fresh for the most part.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Try to do mostly organic. Lunch today for me and DD (18mo) was Steamed carrots, broccoli, red and yellow bell peppers and Chipotle Chik N' Wings (Meat/soy free). We're not vegetarians but they're good!

We eat zero fast food, no soda, really limit junk food and sweets, etc.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Nope. I feed them heavily processed boxed foods. High fat, high sodium, high sugar diet. I never breastfed, I didn't circ my son, I don't ERF and I can't stand drama mama questions like this. Do you really honestly think someone is going to tell you No? If every woman on CM thats claims to feed their kids only organic, low fat, no sugar diets were really doing that...where are all the fat kids coming from?
    Anonymous

• LOL, too true anon. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I tried to encourage my kids to eat better and healthier than I do, and it worked because both are all for healthy foods. But they aren't afraid of junk and fast food, either, every now and then. I was raised in a home where nearly every meal was a battleground over what I was and was not going to eat, because I have a huge number of sensory issues with food. I was determined it would not be that way with my kids. So yeah, mostly, I cooked healthy food for them, and made my meal later; or else made theirs healthier and mine the way I would actually eat it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Not just for my kids, but for the entire family.

We do NOT buy organic, though. We can't afford it. I try to by local when I can, though.

I cook mostly from scratch these days. I've found it's so much cheaper and so much better for you.

I made a chicken, cheese, broccoli and rice casserole tonight from scratch. It was HUGE and will feed me and the kids (husband is away for a few weeks) for several days. :) It was sooo yummy though.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2009