What is your opinion of the FLDS? (Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints)

I'm reading a book by Carolyn Jessop called "Escape", it's essentially her autobiography. She was born into the FLDS and was forced to marry a 50-year-old man (who had three other wives) when she was 18. She had 8 children in a 15 year period, and endured physical and emotional abuse from the moment she was born to the moment she ran away in her 30's. It's a real eye-opener and a really great book, if you're into reading and that sort of thing.

(In case you don't know, the FLDS are a fundie group that originally belonged to the Mormon church. They separated from them a long time ago because they refused to stop the practice of polygamy. It is no secret that women have little to no rights in this group, and violence towards children is encouraged.)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Im not keen on the women being treated as they are.

However, I really dont care that they practice polygamy I just think they need to shift their practice a bit to give more "free will" to the women and make sure girls are over 18 when married,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• the only problems i have with them is the way they treat some of the women, children and the arranged/forced marriages...

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i think they give us good mormons or lds church a bad rap! no one seems to know the difference. there are other reason they were kicked out or left the church not just the poligamy. their beliefs don't fly with the true lds.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Oh really? I didn't know there were more reasons, but now that you mention it it seems like a big duh huh! The things she describes...gosh, they're so absolutely insane! I feel so bad for her and everyone that grows up in that environment.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• i have issues w/ the lack of respect for women & their personal wishes. also, the allegations against their prophet (i cant remember his name but he's in jail) make it hard to believe that they arent making young teen girls marry against their wishes. as far as the polygamy i wouldnt care so long as the participants were willing...oh and the fact that its illegal.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• CULT
    Anonymous

• To be honest, the only issue I take with them is child brides. I am a big supporter of plural marriage and believe that if two WILLING ADULTS wish to marry they should be permited, if a third, forth or even eighth person is WILLING to join that marriage they should be permitted. However, I have a big issue with anyone being forced to marry or children being forced to marry. I also take issue with the way they dump extra boys off on society because they need to have such an over population of women.

I look at it this way, if they want to dress and live in ways that are different from the average person - good for them! But to take away the rights of others by forcing marriage, abandoning young men or marring young girls to old men, is a crime and should be treated as such. Many religions have been forced to alter practices to fit the law and they should be no different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Yeah, I agree with them being able to practice whatever they want as long as it isn't illegal or harms anyone in the process. According to this woman's account, their "base" is in a remote part of Arizona and women have absolutely no say in who they marry at all. The "prophet" (leader, Warren Jeffs is the current dude) has a "divine revelation" from God telling him who's supposed to marry who. In reality, she got married off because her dad was going to file a lawsuit against the man she was forced to marry. So weird, it's just so hard for me to wrap my mind around the thought of this kind of stuff happening in our country and in the 1970's and 80's. Yeesh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think it is terrible. I know Sabrina said that if they are all willing then that is okay, and I agree that they should have the right to practice how they choose. But I wonder how many of those girls are only willing to marry the old toot because they have been brainwashed. I it is hard to tell if they want it because of love of because of duty.

I have also heard many stories of child abuse. The whole thing actually breaks my heart.

It sucks for all the young guys in the community too who have feelings for girls their own age and have to watch them get married off to the old men with a bunch of other wives. Wow. That is sooooo tragic. It is like they have to wait for all the children to grow up before they can get married.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• BTW I like your new profile pic. It is cute : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2009