What do you do when your 4 yr old cries when he is with his dad?

I am recently divorced. I have a 4 yr old son. We have joint custody with me having full custodal care and full residental care however, he sees his dad every other weekend. My son calls me when he is at his dads crying and begging to come home but, my ex won't let him come home. He doesn't really spend any time with him. He just really throws him off on his parents. How do you deal with this? My heart is breaking because of how sad he is? Even when he comes home he isn't the same happy kid for a few days? Any suggestions would be wonderful on how to deal with this kind of situation. I want him to have a relationship with his dad and I want his dad to be involved with his life. Regardless of what Todd has done to me Wyatt shouldn't suffer!! I do still love my ex dearly and wish him all of the best in his journey I just wish that my child could be happy.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I would talk to your x about it. Tell him how you feel. Tell him you want him to have a relationship with your son but that's never going to happen if he doesn't take advantage of the time he has with him and make the most of it. I would also ask him why he won't let your son come home if he's not paying any attention to him when he's over anyways?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• well the way i look at it if your son cries everytime he goes over there maybe you should get custody of the child...Cause first off your ex does pay anymind to him second your ex's parents shouldn't be watching him for their son cause its not fair for ur son to have a father like that.... one that doesn't pay attention to him... That father either need to give you full custody or step up to the plate and take care of his son the right way.....
    lovelost1989

Answer by lovelost1989 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• In one breath you are saying you want your child to have a relationship with his dad and the other you are saying you don't really want him there. Sounds like a messy divorce. Try to leave the child out of the messiness. Try and tell him his dad loves him and your child is important to both of you. Sounds like you are being worked over. Be careful not to put your child in the middle It will come back and bite you in the butt. I would strongly suggest counseling for all of you.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2009