How many moms give their kids snacks, candy and junk food.

I am watching Nanny 911 and she pointed out that these out of control kids eat a snack everynight after dinner. Cookies, ice cream, or chips. They drink soda and Koolaid. I don't give these things to my kids. I don't even BUY them. I only buy 100 calorie packs and those are for schools snacks. My kids drink crystal light, milk and water. I do though buy bag cereal. I wonder if this is why i have little issues with my children. The go to bed on time at night and usually don't give me a hard time. I don't have an issue with my weight either. I noticed many parents comment about their children out of control. I'm just wondering how many parents supply their children with the junk to fuel energy then expect their children to not jump off the walls in the house, Or go to bed ontime. I really am just wondering. If you buy those foods I'd like to see the results of a junk free home for 2 weeks. Try it :) see what happens.

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ditto!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Mind your own business. Where are YOUR kids while you're on cafemom preaching about how holier-than-thou you are?
    Anonymous

• I don't even buy fruit snacks. I used to and i stopped and started to buy fresh fruit. They like it way better. If you use crystal lite and stick to it and NEVER buy koolaid your kids will drink it with out a prob. You know the fruit punch one you can use to switch them from kool aid. It's pretty close to koolaid.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I am watching Nanni 911 and checking my mail. My kids are in the kitchen doing pumking with their dad. Because i took them to the pumkin patch to pick the pumkins so he is carving with them. Thats what I"m doing.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• FYI anon. I am not better then anyone. IF you say I am its because YOU think that NOT me. I just wanted to see if other felt that sugar plays a part in behavior.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My kids get snacks after dinner like a muffin or marshmallows or a pudding cup even the ocasional Popsicle . Um... No problems here.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 8:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Eh I agree partly with this. My kids have fruit snacks, and fresh fruit. They drink juice, watered down, sure they can have chips with a sandwhich why not? They are not overweight, have no behavior issues and go to bed on time at night. I think its about moderation and teaching choices, I have an aunt who allowed no junk food etc and whenever her kids were out and allowed those choices (holiday partys etc) they went biserk. Thats my opinion though and whatever you do for your kids is your choice as is mine and i think thats a beautiful thing :)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 8:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• On occasion, yes. I don't keep that stuff from my kids. But they don't drink soda or kool aid often. They've never even had kool aid. They do on occasion (once a month) get a taste of soda. They drink water, 100% juice and milk. They prefer water to anything else though. And we probably have sweet treats once a week or less and 99% of those are made from scratch, not processed crap.

The rest of the time we snack on fruits and veggies. We had watermelon earlier today for our snack.

They eat the same things, and I have one child who is very calm and mostly good, and another who has a lot of energy and some behavior problems at home (but none at school), no matter what she eats. For us, I don't think it's connected to food. For others, I don't know.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I chuck my kids full of crap all day long. WTH do you care??
    Do you live in my house? Do you pay my bills or buy my food? Do you really truly give a damn? NO, you just want to brag about how great you think YOUR children are.

My kids dont eat snacks after dinner and they rarely have sugar but I do have a son with an behavioral issue and its NOT because of foods given after they eat dinner or any such nonsense that the TV told you could be the cause.
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying that i dont give them anything. If we go out they have things. It's gonna be halloween tomorrow they are gonna be in candy heaven. I was just wondering if the moms who say their children act up and so on. Do you allow them to eat candy and things like that. I mean LOTS of it. Not 1 snack a day. I mean soda and junk. I just wanted to see what everyone said about it. I just dont buy it so they don't really bug me about it. I don't buy soda because i dont drink it same with chips and things like that. These kids on this show are jumping off the wall and she is saying its because of the sugar.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009