Did anyone else kind of freeze at the word 'marriage'?

My SO and I have been talking about marriage a lot lately... How he wants to be my husband and me to be his wife... For us to spend the next 60+ years together raising our children ect... Everytime he mentions this I have panic attacks. I've turned down 4 other proposals becuase I didn't want to spend my life with those men. But my SO is different. I want a future with him, and can see it happening. But everytime he mentions it, I have a panic attack... Any suggestions on how to calm down and accept the fact that this is wonderful, not just scary?

Amy75972

Asked by Amy75972 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes i also froze but it was mainly fear of the unknown not commitment phobia because i really loved him and wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Even on my wedding day i was jittery. I even had depression for a few weeks after my wedding. But when i settled i couldn't figure out why i was so worried! Do some soul searching and figure out what makes you panic then deal with it. Good luck!
    maimutsa

Answer by maimutsa at 12:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• All I can say is that I have been engaged for 5 years. We had been dating for just over a year and the engagement seemed like the natural thing to do, we want to be together forever. But after that we never really brought up getting married. We do it in a vague "one day" kind of way, but we have been together for a long time and have a kid together and for now that is good enough for us. Do what ever you feel is right in the best arrangement for both of you.
    Talk to him and try and figure this out together.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 9:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Sounds like commitment issues.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't get married again on a bet. I told SO to NEVER say the word marriage. He was thrilled with that demand.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• My dh and I were together over 7 years before we got married. We will be celebrating our 11th anniversary on Monday. I think when your ready you'll know. Good luck.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 1:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2009