Can I use a tank previously used for lizards to keep fish in now?

I lost all 4 of my lizards this week to an infection that ran through my tanks like wildfire. Now hubby wants to use the big one as an aquarium tank. I seem to remember something about not using tanks used for lizards to house fish instead. Anyone have any clues on this topic please.

nycte

Asked by nycte at 9:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Pets

• Tanks sold for lizards are not completely water tight. Did you buy a lizard tank or a fish tank and use it for lizards? If it is a fish tank you can bleach it, just make sure you rinse it A LOT-until you do not smell bleach anymore. Even the smallest amount of bleach will kill fish if it is left in the tank.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have no idea. Could you bleach it out?
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Sometimes urine is left over from the lizards and urine is mostly ammonia so as long as the ammonia levels are safe the fish will be too. Fill the tank up and add aquarium salt to it and let it cycle for about a week,check the ammonia levels and if they are ok then add fish,but add them slowly.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009