is there anything wrong with doing this?

I am tired of getting to the end of the month and having no money left, so for November's budget I am going to literally cash the one check I get and immediately divide it into envelopes. The problem is that if Walmart gives me a hundred dollar bill I can't put $50 into two envelopes. I am planning on making a list of needing X many twenty's and X many ten's and so forth. Is there anything wrong with standing at the check stand and asking for this? Does anyone have another ideas that might work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• i worked at walmart and cashed a million checks for people. just know ahead of time how many of each you need and there shouldn't be a problem as long as they have it in the till... which is usually a given.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• As long as you don't get too picky, I don't see a problem with it. I mean, telling them I need x 20s and x 10s is fine, if you were going to sit there and be like I need x 20s, x 10s, x 5s, and then this much in dimes, this much in nickels, and so forth, that might be annoying. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I have done that! Down to the envelopes! It was a while back but I still remember getting those odd looks when I went flipping through envelopes to find the one that said 'Market'. lol! Your fine.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 9:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Its ok ask for the bills you need I do it at the bank sometimes and they never mind.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It's cool, I do that too at the bank and they are happy to do it. They know that people like their money divided up different ways for different reasons.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• The walmart we used to use almost never had enough in the till so when the manager came we asked for smaller bills. The check cashing place we used after them, RAC was always really good about it and were willing to go into the safe for it if they had to. I am thinking the envelope system might be the way to go for us too again, we used to use it and always stayed on budget, now we aren't.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Wouldn't it be easier if you had a bank account?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• not at all, there are tons of people who ask for their money only in 20's and things like that. a lot of people arent comfortable walking around with 100 dollar bills and further more, there are a lot of places that cant break them.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 12:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It would be much easier to have an actual bank account but we have a bad credit card and no bank will give us one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2009