How do I straigten out 2 month olds nights&days?

So I have two beautiful little girls Alexis, whom turns 3 in December, and Adalyn who is 2 months old. Here is my situation....

Adalyn still has her days and nights mixed, each day I am running on about 4 hours of sleep. Everyone keeps telling me to keep her awake during the day and I try, but how do I keep her awake. She always dozes off. I never had this problem with Alexis, because she just had her days & nights straight, plus I could sleep when she slept. Now I can't sleep when the baby is, because I still have a 2 year old running around the house.

Advice please? Any experience in straightening the days and nights out? How do I keep her awake?

lauraluann

Asked by lauraluann at 9:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it shouldnt be too hard to do with a 3 year old in the house! keep it bright and noisy during the day. i would mainly work on night time... get a bedtime routine. when you go in to feed her at night keep it very dark and quiet. dont talk just change her diaper, feed her, and go back to sleep. i always keep the babies rooms totally dark, no nightlight until they are in a toddler bed. as for your lack of rest try to lay down every time you feed her... not as good as sleep but atleast relaxing!

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I dont know if by 2 months you can have a schedule but you could try. I would NOT keep her awake but I would wake her up by 9 am. Let her have short naps. Be loud in the morning, (Hey you have got a 2 yr old right?! lol) and be quiet at night. Set an easy routine at night, fill her tummy up good, bath, dim the lights, whisper, read books.

Those newborn days are a bit hazy for me with my 3 kids as newborns, lol, but I DO remember scheduling a nap that ENDED about 5 or 6 pm, ya know the early evening nap. If they wake up by 6 pm, then they are sure to stay awake till about 9 or 10. You know how I did it? I put them in the snuggli for a good long nap and that is how I got dinner cooked. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Do not try to keep her awake! that will just make for a cranky baby! Have you tried swaddling her at night? Or a pacifier? Or cosleeping? My son never slept well until I started bringing him to bed with me. He liked to snuggle.

I'd give her a nice warm bath, maybe try some lavender bedtime bath, get her warm and cozy, fill her tummy up, and snuggle. Is she waking up just to eat? Or is she up for hours at a time?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 10:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• She up for hours at a time. It is like she has day & night mixed up. I am going to try your suggestions, TY
    lauraluann

Answer by lauraluann at 10:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2009