Muslim doctor told no hat rule applies to her head scarf.

I'm curious to see what the reactions are to this, considering prior posts regarding religious paraphernalia.
The rule is no hats, what do you think?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091031/ap_on_re_us/us_doctor_no_headscarf;_ylt=Aqv4rq_VbliS.56tR.QHKWV34T0D;_ylu=X3oDMTE3YmNzOXN1BHBvcwMzBHNlYwN5bl90b21ic3RvbmUEc2xrA2Z1bGxuYnNwc3Rvcg--

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is ridiculous. You would be discriminating on the basis of religious beliefs if she were forced to remove her hijab. By telling her you would force her to remove it you would be effectively excluding her from the position. That is wrong.

And to those of you complaining about it looking dirty, do you say the same about traditional nuns? They wear the same head cover for the same reason.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I don't blame her for being shocked. I do not consider her religious wear a hat at all. However, i do not necessarily believe that the company should change their policy. It's her choice to work there or not. No one is forcing her to work there without her hijab. Now, if it was standard policy in all medical facilities then something would need to change.
    Anonymous

• I think that is terrible. Would you tell a Jewish man he can't wear his yarmulke (pronounced yamaka)? I just think thats wrong... I mean, it's a religious commandment. I bet if Christians wore them no one would have even thought of the "no hats" rule. (And a head scarf is a head covering, not a "hat")
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• Just another excuse to discriminate against muslims.
    Anonymous

• You know I agree with this. Because of the need for disinfection. If they could find a way to sterilize her scarf, I wouldn't mind. But she would have to do it between each patient.
    Anonymous

• I was just talking to dh about this. He says that people do not keep sterile at the hospital, so that this is hypocritical.
    Anonymous

• Cry me a river!!

They need a clean environment. Those do not stay clean between patients. Plus its just not clean looking. I want a doctor if male- to have short clean hair and a woman- to have her hair pulled back away from her face. Hair can carry all kinds of things. So can clothes

Especially if the doc is wearing one of those and leans in to check the patients ear or mouth.... All their germy breath is all over that head scarf now and its going to spread to the doc and the next patient
    Anonymous

• All their germy breath is all over that head scarf now and its going to spread to the doc and the next patient

If the "germy breath" is all over the scarf, it will be all over the clothes also. What next, demand complete nudity with full body steam sanitation between patients.

How rude and insulting to insinuate that because the headscarf is not of the "norm" it is therefore germ infested and dirty because in your opinion it is "dirty looking"? How do you know her hair is not tied up in a bun under the head scarf? I would think that the things that can linger in the hair would be contained and thus the head covering far safer then being bare headed.
    Anonymous

• The above should not be ANON
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• There is no sanitation issue related to hair coverings it is simply a matter of uniform policy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2009