What age do you believe that breast feeding should stop at?

All of my children were breast-fed but we weaned them off at around 9 months old because of various reasons. However my best friend's son is four and she still breast feeds him sometimes. What's your view on when breast feeding should stop? My husband is terrified by the idea of breast feeding children over about a year old.

mommatomanyy

Asked by mommatomanyy at 10:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally, between 1 and 2. The idea of my child having a name for breastfeeding, and being able to WALK over to me, ask for my breast, and get it, is a little freaky. I guess it's all personal choice...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• imo 12 months, but 4 is just creepy
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• To me the same time as a bottle feed baby one years old should be the latest. Or when the child can us a sippy cup.

Answer by louise2 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think 9 months to a year is good. My uncles wife breastfed all of their kids but for some reason the last one she breastfed until he was 4-5 also. Maybe it was because it was her last and she couldnt stand him growing up...? I know it caused a lot of problems between my uncle and his wife cause he thought it should have been stopped sooner
    Anonymous

• I think breastfeeding past 24 months is a little weird, but to each her own.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I would think by 3 or 4 at the latest. I know the international world recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. I think the US is the only one to say 1 year! In general, I think we stop breastfeeding way too early, but by 3 or 4, that's a little strange even for me! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• It's none of my business how long anyone else does it & just plain wrong to try to say it "should" stop at this age or that for anyone other than myself.

For ME, my daughter weaned herself around 8 months old. If she hadn't, I don't know how long it would've gone on for.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• WHEN THE MOM OR CHILD WANTS TOO!! BUT FOR ME I GUESS 2.
    MAYBE 3. BUT LIE I SAID ISHER CHOICEIF PEOPLE DONT LIKE IT THEN TOO BAD.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• I think 12 months is a good age. IMHO, anyone who breastfeeds their child @ the age of 4, it's because they need to satisfy their own needs and it's sick.

If they really want their child to have breastmilk for the health benefits, they could at least pump it and give it to them in a sippy cup or something, but breastfeeding a child older than 1 or 2 is creepy.

just my two cents
    Anonymous

• When people asked me when I was going to wean my babies, I told them "definitely before they leave for college."   It's really no one's business. 

My kids both self-weaned, one at 15 months, the other at a year.  I happen to think you should wean your kids when they are ready, not on some arbitrary date. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2009