Do you know the statistics?

The chances of your child getting abducted by a complete stranger?

Statistics vary, but not by much. Some estimate about 40 such cases occur each year in the United States. The Justice Department report says there were 115 cases in 2002.

Either way, with 60,700,000 children 14 and under in the United States, the odds of your child being the victim of an Adam Walsh-style abduction are roughly 1 in a million.

You’d be wiser to cancel those horseback-riding lessons. Your child is more likely to be killed in an equestrian accident. (Odds in one year for people who ride horses: 1 in 297,000.) Or better yet, pull him off the football team. (Yearly odds of dying for youth football players: 1 in 78,260.) And if you really want to protect them, sell your car. (Lifetime odds of dying as a passenger: 1 in 228. Odds of dying this year alone: 1 in 17,625.)

Do you live in fear of your child getting abducted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't obsess and worry about what ifs. People who live that way and raise their kids that way are to be pitied. Anything can happen so I choose to live for the years I have. I want my kids to live their lives to the fullest and not in fear.
    _
    This. We are careful (driving, making sure we know where the kids are and keep eyes on them while they're outside or at a playground, etc.), but we don't live in fear of anything. My husband's job requires him to talk to strangers all the time. A lot of times we're with him. DD also loves to talk to everyone.

Anything can happen to anyone at anytime. We don't have control over that. All we can do is live our lives.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Actually, yes I do. I don't live in fear of it but it is a worry of mine. People are nuts. Why not be scared of something like that. Do you just let your kids go anywhere without you than? There's no locks on the windows in either of our bedrooms and even if there were you can pop the windows out. Yes, I'm very worried about someone taking him. Maybe you should be too.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• If your child is one of them, you're not going to console yourself with a back pat for cancelling the horseback riding lessons.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• OP here- My son will be 3. I let him play in the fenced in backyard and watch him while I'm doing dishes. He's sat in the car for a minute while I ran back into the house for something. I don't actively worry about it. I think many moms (helicopter parents) are too worried about their child being taken, or afraid of letting them get hurt. The older he gets the more freedom he'll get.
    Anonymous

• I personally think its something to teach the basics of, and I don't let my son just wander around, but I think its WAY more likely someone I know will do something to him than someone nab him off the street. That being said I do know someone who was accosted by an adult trying to get them into the car when I was in grade school.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I don't obsess and worry about what ifs. People who live that way and raise their kids that way are to be pitied. Anything can happen so I choose to live for the years I have. I want my kids to live their lives to the fullest and not in fear. They have not been taught all strangers are bad. They know to not get in anyones car and to run to the nearest person stranger or not if someone tries to grab them. They don't live in fear they have the knowledge and training (self defense classes) to get by in the world. Those moms that fear abductions and are overly protective must never sleep Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped out of her home. They must never drive. They must never leave their child alone with their spouse since more kids are killed by mom or dad than a stranger. Those moms need to turn off the news and live in the here and now and not base their life on what ifs. That isn't even living in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I do not live in fear of a stranger abduction any more than I live in fear of lightning striking my child, which is no more than a little gnat of worry that occasionally flies around the edges of my thoughts.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Why on earth would anyone live in fear of anything? That would make for a very sad life. Use common sense and do what you can to protect them, but living in fear of anything happening to your kids is just.....nuts.

Spend the time you live in fear playing with them and enjoying them. Hell, they could die in their sleep tonight for no reason what so ever...why not enjoy the time you have with them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yes, I worry about things that could happen to my children but that doesn't mean that they live in a bubble. I would think it would be common sense to take extra precautions to make sure that your child is not one of these statistics. And by the way statistics don't mean horse sh*t if it's your child or a family member.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2009