My almost 16 month DD...

I'm not sure what to with her anymore! She has definitely hit the terrible twos already. NO doubt about that. She will climb on the table constantly. She doesnt listen to a word I say anymore. I have been trying time out but cant seem to find a good place for it. I tried smacking her leg just to see if it would work. Im so against that. But it didnt even work she just laughed at me and hit back (yes i know..thats why you dont spank) i tried getting on her level and saying firmly that she does not do that. I feel like im just being so harsh with her. I feel bad after and I dont know what to do anymore! Redirecting her attention only lasts 2 seconds. Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter does the same thing. She climbs on everything and likes to get into everything but she is exploring and learning she doesnt know that its bad but I dont have a table for her to climb on). I only get upset with her when it's something that puts her in danger. You can do timeouts but they dont fully understand them yet so they can become ineffective. The only way I get through my daughter is saying no firmly and keep saying no until she stops what shes doing and it works.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2009

• This should be just a little faze that lasts like a month and then they go back to normal until about 2 I think. Stick with time out. When you do time out put her anywhere, set her on the floor against the wall, where ever. Make sure you can keep an eye on her, but don't talk to her or give her attention. Then the next step I use it putting my son in bed for about 5 min. That usually does the trick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2009