When is the right time to put your child in there own room?

Okay so i let me baby sleep with me since he came home but we moved the crib in our room and that's where he sleeps now.The thing is,is that he wakes up every few hrs. crying i know its cause hes with me all the time but what can i do about it and when should i move him in hes room and do i let him cry himself to sleep the first couple nights or is there something i can do to make him more comfortable without me in the room.

Randi1sttimemOm

Asked by Randi1sttimemOm at 12:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We put our Daughter in her own room around 3 months, but we put our son in his room his first night home. I had the monitor and could hear his every move. I have always run a fan in both rooms for some white noise, seems to help them stay asleep. They both wake if the power goes out and the fan goes off. They also say the fan can help keep the air moving to reduce the SIDS risk.... so it's a win/win for us! Good luck - you have to do what feels right for you!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• my daughter was in our room for the first week. after that, she went to her own room. then when we had to downsize, she was back in our room, but we never let her sleep with us, and we always put her to bed before we went in the room. Now that we are in a bigger house, she has her own room again, and it wasnt an issue switching her. If he cries, and hes not hungry, or wet-personally, i would just let him. He needs to self soothe.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My son still co sleeps. If your comfortable with co sleeping what's the rush.I personally would not force your child to cry it out, it does not teach your child to self soothe it teaches your child to not trust you. It is very difficult for a baby to go from co sleeping to suddenly sleeping on his own and not being responded to. I would make the switch very gradually, try beginning putting your son in only for naps and then slowly a few times a week and slowly move to ever night because suddenly forcing a baby to sleep alone isn't fair and it's scary for him. There are plenty of books out there where you can get advice to transition your son from co sleeping to crib sleeping with out CIO. Good luck hun, I hope every thing works out well for you.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Ours were in their own rooms from birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My 3 year old co-slept with us until he was 7 months old. My 4 month old is still co-sleeping. I don't really think there is a right answer for this. It depends on the child. My 4 month old sleeps through the night most nights although he will wake up at around 3 pm and make noise (not cry). I used to bf him when he did that but found that if I wait about 5-10 min he will fall asleep again until 5 a.m.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My oldest we did when she out grew the bassinet. My youngest sooner, because she sings in her sleep and wake me up. It is cute unless you haven't sleep well in a few weeks.

So to answer your question, at 6 months.  It is trial and error to find a method that works for him. 

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2009