Why is this?

I was reading through some Swine flu debates on this site and came across this post : "Initially, the government suggested dropping the seasonal vaccine, but late yesterday it announced a compromise: It would put off the seasonal flu vaccinations until January. One of the reasons cited for staggering the two campaigns is that those who have been vaccinated in the past against the seasonal flu appeared to be more susceptible to H1N1. Therefore, it makes more sense to give the H1N1 shot first."

NOt sure where this is from, but if it is true, why would this be true? Why would the regular flu shot make a person more likely to catch the H1N1 flu? To be honest this is all sounding so so confusing and I cannot make up my mind , get the shot, don't, just me, or just my 7 month old....

And im also not really able to make a decision bc there are barely any shots in my area to be given...and I want the mercury free kind...

CurvyMommato1

Asked by CurvyMommato1 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would assume that they could swine flu easier because it's a different strain of the flu and they're vaccinated from that strain. I wouldn't get it .It hasn't been well enough tested to know the long term effects of it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• honestly, most of us have been on the earth for quite some time, and have "naturally" fought things off; but my feeling on this whole thing is that kids come first! I say this because I'm a sahm, with 2 kids in school, so if they're vaccinated I should be fine. I am aware of the seriousness of the H1N!; however, we all havetie adplac wenw wlll pass on! all tha maters is protecting our kids! I( tG) have never recieved the flu vaccine; hence never catching it or getting sick. I believe in protecting my kids before my own well being; some may consider this selfish; but i'd rather them live than myself if the H1N1 should attack you; early treatment will save your life!!! I know this because someone I knew had it and lived because it was caught early(she was 8 months pregnant!). I hate to say it, but God takes care of those who put faith and trust in Him!!! bottom line; your life, your choice, you are the only living person who can
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• make it!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• OP-I talked to our dr about vaccinating our 2 y/o against the H1N1 and he told me that the clinic had decided NOT to get/give the H1N1 vaccination because there was not enough information about the adverse side effects yet known. We did NOT get the shots.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My interpretation of that statement would be that since everyone has been vaccinated against the seasonal flu for so long, their exposure level to the type of illness that the H1N1 would be lesser because their bodies are no longer used to having to work against an illness. This is (IMO) one of the main problems with vaccinating against non-life-threatening illnesses.
    Our ped's office offers the shot, and the ped tried to talk us into getting it, but when I explained my reasoning, he completely agreed with me and stated that he hadn't really thought of it that way, and that he fully supported my decision.
    I won't be getting the vax even though I am pregnant, and my daughter won't either (she's 1) I have NEVER gotten a flu vax, and I think we will continue that with the children in this family. The H1N1 vax especially scares me because according to the ped. it is a LIVE virus not a dead one, and little research has been done.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• We are offered both around here (ne mo) but they are also both in such short supply htat you can't get 'em anywhere and it becomes a moot point unless you are pregnant, which I am currently not. Plus, MO just removed the restriction on mercury in the h1n1 to make more doses available. Looks like dd won't get it; I will still try to get the seasonal one if it ever becomes available.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009