What does low sodium and Co2 in bloodwork mean?

I am hypothyroid, and diabetic and pregnant. I get tested monthly for bloodcounts of just about everything to keep in check. Ive only been hypothyroid since February (at least finally diagnosed) and diabetic since May (at least diagnosed). Pregnant in June due in March. My thyroid count was .62 which is great for the lab count where I had blood drawn, and aic was 5.3 which is also good. But they said my co2 and sodium counts were low. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I called back and got a nurse who said I should not try to add more salt to my diet since for 3 weeks now Im having slight edema in my feet/ankles. Can anyone help me, has anyone had/ heard of this experience for themselves or anyone else? My endo will retest in January at my next appointment. I have nodules in my thyroid that we cant do anything with while pregnant <---not that it has anything to do with this that I know of, please help.

tsjpop

Asked by tsjpop at 12:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Health

• My mom has low salts and she gets horrid muscles cramps. She also has pretty several blood sugar issues and has to eat a very restricted diet. If she misses a single day of her exercise program, she's ruined.

If you are not already on a exercise program, start walking daily and try gentle stretching. If you are puffy and uncomfortable, this will help move your fluids around. Part of diabetes is poor circulation. Get walking. Do what ever it takes to make time in your day for a 20+ min walk. Tell SO/DH that he has to do the dishes or the laundry or whatever is the time sucker that is preventing you from walking. Have him walk with you.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• take 500mg magnesium pills. low sodium can and will cause charlie horses( the magnesium works wonders for this!).as for everything else; all i can say is watch your diet! do not add salt; unless recommended, increase fresh fish intake(many benefits to fresh fish in your diet!). but any questions that you have or anything you don't understand you should take up with your obgyn consultant( the nurse can and will provide you with this info!). you want to do anything you can to prevent preclampsia!!!! i'm sure you'll be fine a long as you ask your provider the questions you have!!!! good luck, and God bless!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• So this can cause preclampsia? I will have to google that and learn more, because I am pro" take care of this" instead of sit back and "let's see what happens". I am 39 and I am sure this will be my last chance at having a pregnancy since I developed pcos and the only reason I got pregnant was because the new metformin drug introduced into my system caused me to ovulate which I hadnt done in about 10 months and now am almost 19 months preggies. Thank you for that info, I will check it out now.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 8:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2009