M&M cookies flat? What's going on?

Okay I needed to make some good m&m cookies for my halloween get together tomorrow and for some reason they've spread out , are flat, stick to the pan, and some are crispy while others aren't done in the middle. I don't know what to do...besides throw away this batch and try my hand at another...I made a chocolate chip cookie recipe which turned out fabulous but then when I tried to make m&m cookies they've turned out terrible...what's going on? Am I needing something in the current recipe...
This next post is the recipe I'm using...please help??

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 1:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• 2 3/4 c. flour
    1 1/4 tsp baking soda
    1c. butter (stick)
    1 3/4 c. brown sugar (packed)
    2 eggs
    2 1/4 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/4 c. semi sweet choc. chips (which I am substituting the m&m's)

Combine flour and soda and set aside.

In large bowl, Combine butter and sugar. Mix well. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Mix til blended well.

Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in choc. chips.

Drop 1 tbsp of dough onto cookie sheet leaving about 2 1/2 in. between each cookie. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until edges harden and centers are soft.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 1:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I have the same problem and ended up having to use a recipe that uses shortening instead. Not sure what other substitutions it has, I will have to go find it. GL The only thing that seems to help me is making bars, not cookies.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I think your oven temp is too low and your oven is not pre-heated to the right temp when you put your tray in. Try 375 for 8-10 minutes. Oven temp problems are usually the cause.

Other tips:
    sub baking powder for the soda-- that will make your cookies puff up.

Are you using all purpose or self-rising flour? self-rising has leavening agents added.

Is the butter at room temp when you whip it with the sugar? make sure your butter is at room temp.

What kind of pan are you using? A dark cookie sheet is best.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Is you baking soda old? This will make the cookies not rise well.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• make sure you arent putting too much butter in it!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I needed it for my party on Halloween so I decided to try another recipe. Luckily that one worked. Although the cookies were smaller...I still had many who liked them. Thanks again for your help.

I did go back through to see if anything I used had been older. The baking soda had expired in 2006...(I don't use it that often)..however I was able to get a new one (my husband mixes them into the catbox so I just took one of his new ones).

I actually had found a place online where others had said that using butter flavored crisco sticks was alot better for cookie baking so I used that in the new recipe.

Thanks so much for all your help ladies *S*
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Make sure the butter is room temp, not too soft. I also think baking on parchment paper makes a big difference in my cookies. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009