Whats the difference between the shot and the nasal spray?

The local health department is offering both the shot and the nasal spray for H1N1 right now and I don't know which we should get (if any). Anyone know the difference, the woman on the phone couldn't tell me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Health

• The shot usually has more toxins in it and typically has a higher risk of allergic reactions.
    The mist has fewer toxins in and sometimes can be more effective because it enters your immune system in a more natural way. ...but there are major side effects for either.

I personally do not recommend either the shot or the nasal spray.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• nasal spray attacks it through inhalation(hence it not being sae for asthmatics), where as the shot fights it in the blood stream. sometimes the blood flow carries disases faster than nasally; however both are carriers of whatever we catch/ caught. the reason the nasal spray effects asthmatics negatively is due to it entering the "breathing sytem" if you will causing the lungs to constrict, whereas intrevenus it goes into the blood strengthing the white cells to fight off the virus. not a doc by any means; and info could be off, but this is my understanding because 2 out of 4 kids had nasal sparay due to the fact that they do not have asthma or asthmatic systems!!!! my own personal belief and understandings; strickly!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• ...um. fights what ladyd? vaccines don't "fight" anything. They are supposed to build immunity by exposing us to the very diseases that the CDC tells us to avoid. AND they do it half-assed because injection and nasal sprays dont enter the body the way diseases are supposed to the immune system has less of a defense. This is why vaccines are not effective for some people and why boosters are continuously needed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I was told that with the nasal spray, people that you are around can actually catch the swine flu from you after using spray because the particles can be released into the air. I'm not sure how true this is, just what I was told.
    missgreatness04

Answer by missgreatness04 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Any person who gets a vaccine or the spray can possibly be contagious. Although, it does make some sense that the chance of being contagious would be higher for those who take the nasal spray, i am not sure if that is true or not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Well I know that the nasal has a possiblity of more side effects the then shot this is why we all got the shot.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Shot...dead virus.
    Flumist...very small amount of live virus, and there is a small chance of getting a slight case of it from the flumist.

Shot everyone can have.
    Flumist...those with respiratory problems (like asthma) can't have

You're NOT contagious if you get either!! IF you were, the doctor would tell you to quarantine yourself for a period of time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• spray has live virus in it and the shot doesn't

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2009