can my 3 month old be teething

my son is 3 months old and he is always chewing on his hands and drooling... he soaks his clothes with drool... everyone has told me that its a sign of teething... he doesnt really seem to be in any pain, but he does like to chew on his teethers. just wondering at what was the youngest age a child could start teething?

froggiedee

Asked by froggiedee at 1:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They can be born teething, my cousin was. My dd started at almost two months.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• not at all impossible!!!! you db has classic signs of teething! its the hormones in any and everything thats causing faster development; or it could be just plain old hereditary quick teething.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The doctor in the NICU actually said it could vary in meanings (the chewing on the hand & drooling), but in the first 6months is usually an indicator of hunger. My 2week old son does that & I don't think he's teething...but to be sure I'd bring it up with your LO's doctor for sure. =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It's probably pre-teething. You probably won't see any teeth appearing for a while, but that doesn't mean he isn't teething. His teeth are still getting pushed up into his gums. My daughter was pre-teething for about 6 months before we could actually see a tooth.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 11:14 AM on Oct. 31, 2009