Getting my one year old off the bottle.

My daughter just turned one and I'm trying to gradually phase out her bottle. I'm trying to get her to drink from a cup or sippy cup instead. She's been using a sippy for quite awhile but will only drink water from it. If I put milk or juice in it she refuses to drink it or drinks very little. She only wants her milk in a bottle it seems. What are some good tactics to get her to drink milk from a sippy? How much milk (I'm talking cow's milk) does she really need anyway?

Bears.Mommy

Asked by Bears.Mommy at 1:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• one day we just packed the bottles away and that was that. he didn't take his sippy with milk for about half the day, but he eventually got the idea and drank a whole cup! sometimes this can take a couple of days, but she won't starve herself or deny milk forever.
    now he LOVES his sippy! he likes to carry it around and such.
    technically, 18-24 oz of milk a day, less if they are having cheese, yogurt, pudding, etc. i give mine his at his 2 snacks (between bf and lunch and lunch and dinner) and then one before bed, brush teeth, and then down.
    weaning did NOT work for us bc he knew he'd get his bottle later anyway, so why bother with the sippy? it isn't mean at all and this is how a lot of parents do it! good luck mommy!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Just take the bottle away..I know it sounds mean..but she will move on.Many many other children have been threw it lol..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• growing tots need 4oz with every meal. have you tried puttig enough milk in a regular cup( just enough so she won't spill it!? sometimes they take on the idea of being big girl or boy and want to do the same things as mom and or dad(as far as eating and drinking go, because they tend to mock what they see; especially if only child!).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• How much milk does she need depends on what her other sources of calcium are. Do you feed her cheese, yogurt and leafy green veggies? If yes to some or all of those then she doesn't need much milk. AND whole milk and/or too much milk has been linked to asthma and other upper respiratory issues.

Personally, i'd just take the bottle away. If it's no longer an option then she doesn't really have much of a choice. It will be hell for a couple days ...but then she'll adjust and move on.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Try putting only water in the bottle. Maybe she will reject it on her own!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Your daughter technically doesn't "need" cow's milk at all.
    As long as she is getting calcium from another source then it's not necessary.

As far as weaning off of the bottle goes, with my son I started gradually removing bottles from his routine.
    I would start only giving him a bottle before naps and bed, then I eliminated the daytime bottles all together. Just one when he first woke up and one before bed.
    Then I eliminated the morning one and just left it as a before bed thing.
    He eventually started refusing the bottle all together.

Each kid is different though. Your daughter might be more attached to her bottle than my son was.
    Now his little bear he sucks on is another story. The way things are going he'll be taking that thing to college! lol
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• She can use the sippy cup so stop giving her the bottle. "Phasing it out" doesn't make sense! She doesn't need it, she can use a cup, so why give her a bottle?

Give her milk in her sippy and nothing else until she drinks it.

It's not mean, it's parenting. You need to help her move on from being a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2009