Have any of the moms out there had a child older than three vaccinated with a thimerosal free flu vaccine?

My son is 3 and I requested to have a thimerosal free flu vaccine as I have every year of his life so far and they told me he is now too old for the perservative free vaccine and would have to have the regular version. I refused to let him have it and am on a mission to find out if this is common practice or just the doctors being idiots! I think he is still to little and has too much development to put unnesseary metal in his tiny body. Please help me ladies! Thanks a million!

scottiesmommy

Asked by scottiesmommy at 1:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm sorry, but most of the vaccines are filled with unnecessary metals and other toxins as well. If you ask for the thermisol free flu vaccine i hope you asked for thermisol free other vaccines too, because the flu vaccine isn't the only one that contains mercury. And just the fact that you are injecting him the the flu shot in the first place shows that "unnecessary" toxins aren't a priority to you. I do not mean to offend, but there are lots of bad things in shots besides mercury.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• yes we did but not on purpose. they just gave her both of the baby shots.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I will ignore all answers that bash vaccines, we are on a reduced vaccine schedule and I almost did not vaccinate but I was concerned about some of the diseases such as polio. I want to vaccinate my 3 year old against flu since he has a severe asthma condition and ended up in the pediatric ICU after a normal cold last spring! but I want to reduce the toxins that he recieves. I would appreciate hearing from moms with useful advice, Thanks!
    scottiesmommy

Answer by scottiesmommy at 10:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am not bashing vaccines, but the only polio in quite a few years has been from the ORAL polio vaccine (not what they give now). Personally pertussis is the only one that I thought was worth it and since you can't get that seperate and that is the vaccine that caused an almost deadly reaction in my first born my second did not get it. It is a personal decision that every family has to make for themselves. As to your question about the mercury free vaccine my SIL gets the mercury reduced vaccine for her daughter who is 8 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I asked my ped for the seasonal flu shot my son who is 3 1/2. They told me that he falls into the category of a preservative free vaccine which was great news to me. Unfortunately they didn't have those vaccines in yet. I called every few days only to be told that there was a vaccine shortage and the health dept had sent them a letter stating that they didn't have any more flu shots available and didn't know if and when they would be getting them. I am now on a mission to find him a preservative free flu shot but it has been unsuccessful so far. I wish you luck in finding one for your son.
    Anonymous

• I am heartily for vaccination and have my daughter get the flu vaccine every year..and she is up to date on all her vaccinations. Single dose vials are thimerasol-free and most doc offices have multi-dose vials for the shots. I believe the nasal spray is also thimerasol-free. You can give the nasal spray vaccine if you child has already had a flu shot, otherwise they will need 2 doses. The chance of getting the flu from the nasal spray is .6 to 2.4% My child tolerated the nasal spray very well. No side effects. And you get way more thimerasol from eating a can of tuna than you get from a vaccine.
    char944

Answer by char944 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009