Should I give my 3 year old a nap? How long?

I have a 3 old little girl. She very smart, and curious. I stopped giving her naps because her naps where far too long, 3 to 4 hours, and at bed time, she was falling sleep around 10pm or 11pm. I get exhausted by 7pm, because I'm home schooling, and I stayed up late til 3 am to study. So, I decided not to give her naps anymore. So, she would go to sleep earlier. Now, by the time it's 4pm she is falling sleep, and I'm afraid that she won't sleep at night early, because I have to study. Now, I'm considering putting her down for naps again, around 12p or 1p. It is kind of hard though, since she is waking up at 9am pretty much every day. So, I'm very frustrated. I don't know exactly what to do. Should I wake her up in the morning earlier?. I wake up at 5:30am to start studying almost every day. Please help I feel that I'm not been a good Mom! I really want the best for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 3 (he'll be 4 in a couple of weeks) - he's still taking a nap - I think this is a very individual thing - some kids still need them at 3 and some don't. I'm also a homeschooling mom and I do math with my 13 yr old when my 3 yr old and 8 month olds are napping. DS gets up EARLY, like he first wakes between 5 and 6am most days and takes his nap around 10:30-11 after we've done his schooling for the day (he does painting or playdough or something like that because sissy is in school - lol) - then goes to bed at 7:30 or 8. He only sleeps a couple of hours, at most with his naps.

Is your daughter acting fussy or cranky or extra hyper or just going and going and going? Finding the balance for your little princess I think is the key :) Watch her moods and things - you'll find what works best- you're certainly NOT a bad mom!! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I still give my DD one or atleats rest time between 1 and 3. But no matter what she has to be up by 3. that way she goes to bed okay. I also need the break.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• A two-hour nap around 1-1:30 is pretty common, and shouldn't throw her bedtime into the absurdly late time range.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree if she's up at 9am do lunch at 12:30pm and then nap from 1-3. She should still be ready for bed around 8 or so. Just make sure to wake her up at 3pm if she's still sleeping and you shouldn't have too much trouble at bedtime
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• don't let her sleep 3 - 4 hours! don't wake her up earlier to give her a long nap during the day, let her wake up at 9, put her down about 1 ish, and let her sleep for 2 hours TOPS unless she's sick, wake her up from that instead! she should them be ready for bed time at the "proper" time.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 3:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Kids need their sleep. They need to recharge and let their little bodies rest. The two hour nap is reasonable. They should be able to go to bed by 8 with that. Kids who don't get their nap/rest time each day have a hard time. They can get crabby and uncooperative. Why are you up til 3 a.m.? It can't be good for you either. I don't want to tell you what to do, but until you finish (your class?), maybe you should consider daycare for your 3 year old. A good child care program can include a good learning environment and give you some time to do your home schooling.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I wanted to add - I do get that you're home schooling yourself - not other children - but it's the same concept in many ways :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:46 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• a schdule i think will work for her is up at 7am nap around 12-2 then up till 8 that should work well thats what my son does when hes home all day
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 12:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2009