For those who let their little ones self wean from breast feeding, how do they let you know they are ready?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son is 30 months and he is cutting back. He nurses before nap & bed and maybe a few times a day. If he's not wanted I don't make him. I've no idea what the "signs" are but I follow his lead. Good luck!!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• its a gradual thing, you will notice they come to you less and less. for my children they just became so busy they forgot about it lol and all of a sudden we were done. the two that breasfed the longest stopped just shy of their 3rd birthdays, thats about the time when independence becomes a large part of their world and they are very busy playing and doing big kid stuff :) I offered snacks around the time I normally would have fed or a cup of juice or milk, i gradually replaced their feedings but if they wanted to feed I allowed it. I never forced the alternatives on them they had a choice and made it on their own.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My son isn't anywhere close, I'm sure, but typically it will be gradual, that's why if you are going to wean your kid you should drop feedings slowly. I will know it's going to be soon when he cuts back to very little. My friend's little boy was not even nursing every day, eventually he wasn't nursing enough to even keep her milk supply up and one day he said "Mama, no milk? Milk gone?" so she called it the official weaning, though he still asks occassionally, but there's nothing there so she just rocks him or holds him instead of nursing.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Generally, the rule of thumb is... don't offer, don't say no.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree with the don't offer, don't say no. As long as they are getting the nutrition they need from somewhere else also. It is possible that they will lose interest and then getit back if they are younger and are learning new things like sitting and crawling. So it depends on the curcumstances.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• They stop asking for it. It's pretty obvious.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My oldest self weened. She just slowly started nursing consistently less time. When she was 16 month she was nursing less then 5 min total, so we stopped. It was easy. My youngest would still nurse all day at 22 months, so I am weening her myself. A little harder but still easy.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• i did the dont offer dont refuse method..weaned my lil at 16months
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The don't offer don't refuse method is actually used for weaning. Notice the moms who use it have kids who wean earlier. Nothing wrong with it, just know that going in.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My daughter was 23 months old. She started drinking water from a sippy cup at around ten months, and gradually lost interest in breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2009