is making your baby poop unhealthy for them?

So we have a five month old and right now we are having to feed her a little more formula for various reasons. My DH thinks she is constipated as she doesn't poop that often (every 3 or 4 days) He's a med student and he thinks there is nothing wrong in making her poop if she doesn't do it by herself in this time frame. I really don't like this and feel she should just work it out of her system by herself if she's doesn't appear to be in any discomfort (which she doesn't). However, my husband is adamant that it's OK and the last three times she's pooped he's made her do it! We've had so many arguments over this, HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ohh I'm glad you did the "LOOK SEE what this says here 50 times!" lol cause I was going to tell you to do that! :) I have to do that too sometimes. lol. Maybe join the BF'ing group?

I hope once you get back home and can breastfeed more often again he'll get back on a more normal pooping schedule since yeah formula can be constipating (I had to supplement my NICU baby for a while), but I want to just tell you that breastmilk is a laxative.. yes.. but it is absorbed better by the body and many women's EBF babies do not pooh for 10-20 days sometimes and it is -totally- normal...

So do not think that your baby has to pooh constantly once he's back on the breast a lot.. they do not.. as long as they aren't very uncomfortable, are peeing a good 5-8 times, do not have lumpy bellies or a lot of watery leakage (signals blockage), are passing gas, and are not having pooh pellets (constipation).. they are fine!!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Babies don't have to poop every day.. Unless she is obviously in pain or constipated she is fine and yes you can cause damage to her if you are tryin to make her poop even when she doesn't need to.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 2:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Going every 4-5 days is fine (even for formula fed). Find a new doctor NOW. Making her poop (sticking something up her butt to activate the muscles) is BAD. Those muscles will "forget" how to work on their own. It should be done ONLY in extreme cases and then only once in a while!!

Get a new doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It isn't her doctor saying that.. it's the child's father
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 9:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Thanks for the comments ladies. I got my husband to read a whole bunch of medical articles on the subject and they said it's not good to do this all the time and now he has come round to seeing things my way!

Normally she's breast feed (but I have difficulty pumping, hence the use of formula) so once I'm back home more hopefully her cycle should get back to normal.

Thanks again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• What is "normal" for everyone is different. I myself only go every few days...my dad thinks it should be 3-4 times a day! My kids and hubby are all different too...and we generally all eat the same! If your baby is not showing any signs of pain, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried talk to your baby's pediatrician.... I don't recommend any type of laxatives...for kids or adults! My MIL was a "Saturday castor-oil" mom.... so that way my hubby and siblings could have a "nice clean poop" on Saturdays and not worry about the rest of the week! EEK!!!!
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 10:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• how do u make a baby poop?
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Using a thermometer is one of the most common ways..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• yeah um how is he making her poop? it could be very unsafe to be making her poop!!

id suggest switching formulas to see if that is why she isnt pooping

also is she breastfed at all? its not uncommon for breastfed babies to go a few days without pooping
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 11:07 AM on Oct. 31, 2009