What is your opinion on people who pass out condoms to the teenage trick or treaters?

Should the passer ask the kids age before giving the condom just to be sure the passer isn't giving a condom to a child who might be too young?
Is it even moral to pass out condoms on Halloween?

One of my cousins is being a safe sex clown for Halloween and will be passing out condoms to older trick or treaters. What do you think about that?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think this is appropriate at all. I have teenagers. If they're going to be trick or treating, then it's as a whimsical, childhood thing (my dd did this last yr as a 9th grader, and this year, my kids are going to be helping take little kids around, which is something they've also done in the past).

There are plenty of ways to get condoms as teenagers - you can get them from planned parenthood, in a lot of places, you can get them from your school, you can go to the store and buy a box (it's not like they card you the way they do for cigarettes and beer), or you can even get them from vending machines in bathrooms a lot of times.

They don't need to be handed out at Halloween for Pete's Sake! Sorry, but what's next - pg tests as Christmas stocking stuffers?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Inappropriate. Must we bring sex into the holidays now? Go to Planned Parenthood for condoms, not the neighbor while trickortreating.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree that it is innappropriate unless she's at a college party or something, then its more humerous because of the age group.

i tell her carefull of all the parents she is going to be bashed by.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Well, ...the teens do. They go out party and some are bound to have sex that night. Lot's of them, i'm willing to bet, didn't necessarily plan it a head of time so did not find their way to Family Planning (as it is called here) to get some condoms.

I am sort of on the fence about this. Just stating an argument one might make in defense.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree with you outstanding about the sex part.. but i think the passer outer would leave him/herself open to some strong back lash from parents if they found out.

With everyone being sue happy and so quick to call the cops i say better safe then sorry............for the condom clown at least lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• What kind of warped mind comes up with an idea like that ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree with anon 1:27. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Anonymous

• BTW - just to clarify, I don't have a problem with condoms being handed out in appropriate settings, but I don't think that Trick or Treating is one of them.

Here's another example to think about with it. A very good friend of mine has kids that are very big for their age. Due to this, they are frequently mistaken for being anywhere from 2 yrs and up older than they are (her just turned 2 yr old was often mistaken for a 5 yr old, for example). All but one is NOT a teen, but the older ones could easily be mistaken for one, and shouldn't be getting a condom.

Her oldest, who is a teen, is high functioning autistic who loves Halloween. You can't tell by looking at her that there's anything out of the ordinary with her, but in a lot of ways, she's about 9. Imagine giving a girl who is 13, but looks 15, and is emotionally 9, a condom. That would be a trick, not a treat :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• sailorwife.
    that is exactly why i asked if the passer should ask the child's age before handing out the condom.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm going to go with inappropriate too. I had a close friend growing up who was always a foot taller than me. We'd go out to eat with her family when we were 12 and waiters would be hitting on her because they thought she was 16. I'd hate to imagine what her father (6'2) would have done to a "safe sex clown" that gave his 12 year old a condom instead of candy...

Plus, I know I was sort of sheltered, but when I was a freshman and sophomore (not that long ago really) I never thought of having sex. I was a virgin until I was 17.. Not all teens are sexually active, and I'd hate to have some stranger encouraging them to go against our family's morals, even if that's not the intention.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009